Randall Fighting Knife at Gun Turn-in

Jeffrey Magut

Jeffrey Magut

An article in my local paper covered a "turn in your guns to the police" event. In addition to the guns, people brought in knives, a sword and an African spear. One photo shows what looks to be a Randall fighting knife and sheath which has a name and serial number. Am I right? If so, it is horrible to know that it will be turned over to the state for destruction. The police said nothing was valued over $1,000.

Link:

http://www.greenwich...p#photo-4239461

post-121-0-71617300-1361830937.jpg

maybe I should start a weapons turn in service.I will come to your home and pick then up.

I see there's a Cal 30 carbine in the lot also. All I can say is "IDIOTS"

ww2relichunter

It a same to hear they will be destroyed and the police arent even paying much money for them compared to what they are worth. these things should be sold to collectors so they could be appreciated even if they had to be deactivated !

There was all kinds of positive news coverage here about a bail bondsman who was doing a gun buy back aground Thanksgiving time. I think he was doing a gun-for-turkey trade. The local news said he had quite a turnout. Yeah...and you can bet he was laughing all the way home with that one too...

I bet the police are going to divert anything collectible, like the Japanese rifle and bayonet, the M1 carbine, and the Randall, to their private collection. I cannot imagine any of them would be stupid or uncaring enough to allow these valuable weapons to simply be destroyed. That is at least my hope. I do not want to dwell on the alternative fate of these collectibles.

Tim

I think that will be the exception and not the rule. I'm betting most won't know what they're looking at. I also noticed in the picture the pommel of a KA-BAR 6" Commando knife with original sheath from WW2 era.

That is indeed a Randall. It is a Springfield Randall made in Springfield, Mass. In 1943/44 and is worth more than a thousand bucks. Looks well used but could clean up nicely. Unfortunately sactroop is correct and most cops won't have a clue as to what it is and how much it's worth. I've found 3 over the years and the cheapest I've sold one was about 1500.00. The highest I got for one was 2500.00.

I think it's about time to start running a counter ad in a paper if the any city government comes up with a buy back plan. We should run an ad and let these old widows know what their weapon is worth and that we will pay more than the city.

That Springfield Randall is a bona-fied WWII veteran. It may not have served over seas but it served during the war.

Ronnie

Thats a shame.I would say its a Sprinfield made Randall.Im sure a lot of this really never gets destroyed.There was a M2 carbine turned into a police dept. here in the area.It went home with the police chief :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

It heartens me to see that Crosman pelletgun and the Daisey BB gun are protecting that nasty, dangerous Randall knife. We had a couple of buybacks here in New Mexico...best gun shows we've had

in years, ha!

The squirrels in that neighborhood are a lot safer with those BB guns of the street. :P Seriously, 'buybacks' do nothing except give criminals a good look at who is no longer armed.

• 1 month later...

Some people are just too dumb and believe all the hype that is out there with these so called gun buybacks. They'll turn in anything but the person who turned this Randall in, needs to have his or her head examined. Well, as they say, it takes all kinds of people to make a world but I would not want this person living next to me. They make some bad decisions. That was a very valuable knife to just throw in the pile and the real question is, will it really be destroyed or will it end up in someone's collection at a later date. We'll never know. Glad to see that there are a few less BB guns around now. I feel safer.