How to protect yourself against a Tiger 1!

Sabrejet

Or you can do like Sgt Rock did on more than one occasion, take it out with a Tommy Gun :P

post-34986-0-20141900-1361818683.jpg

I think there was a issue where he actually destroyed a Tiger I by shooting down the barrel with a 45 slug hitting the 88mm shell in the Tigers breech and exploding the shell thus the Tiger :lol:

I bet a lot of Russian soldiers could tell you exactly how effective (or not?) this practice was. After all, they fought against a heckuva lot more German armor than our GIs had to.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I once talked with a combat engineer from the 326th Eng/101st, who told me of an incident in Holland. He and his squad had been re-planting a few US AP mines and liberated GERMAN AT mines along a one-lane "jeep trail", when two Tigers showed up down the path and after a minute or two of them peering at the GIs (scrambling for cover) they started shooting their bow MGs and accelerated down the one-lane road. A few of the anti-PERSONNEL mines went off, adding fireworks to the party, but nothing bigger was hit by the lead Tiger's treads -- until "no more than eight feet" from the shallow hole of the storyteller it hit TWO of the German mines buried on the shoulder (that's "verge" to our Brit readers). The blast flipped the Tiger over on its side, AWAY from the storyteller.

He had been wondering -- his life flashing before his eyes -- what would be left of him the bury, or maybe his hole would be deep enough (as said in training, as per posted illustration). He was deafened by the explosion, but crawled out and shot two Tiger crewmen as they exited. Because he was deafened, he did not notice the second tank firing away at him; he was protected only by the bulk of the disabled Tiger. Unable to pass, the second panzer backed away and was later knocked out.

For this, he was at first put in for a Silver Star, for single-handedly destroying a Tiger.....but The Rest of the Story came out and it got downgraded to a BSM

Johnny Signor

To quote a funny and somewhat famous movie line "Run awayyyyyyy Run Awayyyyyyyyyyyy" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Johnny

Not to mention the "tactic" Soviet and German tanks used .... rotating on top of a foxhole.

Many soldier lost his life that way.

Erwin

Not to mention the "tactic" Soviet and German tanks used .... rotating on top of a foxhole.

Many soldier lost his life that way.

Erwin

This makes me hurt just thinking about it. :(

Looks like a good way to be buried alive. If I recall there was an example of GI's hiding in foxholes while tanks went overhead in the movie "Patton". Didn't look too comfortable (or survivable).

Buckshot329

I was told buy a US ww2 vet he was more afraid of the allied tanks than of the germans. As an infantryman he could easily hide in the woods and avoid any German tanks (sometimes circling them using the 'grenade down the hatchet' trick to take them out). On the contrary, when US tanks were closeby the situation often got worse because they were giant targets and would attract a huge amount of metal.

Actually makes sense to me :)

Buckshot329

How about the German Infantry following directly behind the tank?

I don't know actually :)

When we were talking about German tanks this is what he told me.

Ian, one of my favorite Willie & Joe cartoons. ;)

gottabepatient.jpg

"Able Fox Five to Able Fox. I got a target

but ya gotta be patient."

Nice one Pat...in fact, just perfect!! :D