Rare color footage of US Marines and their armor on Iwo Jima

Sabrejet

Very interesting Ian. Dr. Vedder mentions this very attack in his book, Surgeon on Iwo. In fact the tank that is brewing up may be the specific tank he mentions in that particular account.

In most accounts I have read of Iwo the grunts did not want to be around the tanks because they drew so much shell fire.

On page 96 of Surgeon on Iwo is where I think Vedder is talking about this tank attack on airfield 2.

Neat to see what I think he is describing.

Great footage!...did you see all those rubber innertube helmet bands being used?.....mike

Yeah...I noticed that too Mike. It's the kind of thing which many collectors would tend to dismiss....but it's there for all to see!

On page 96 of Surgeon on Iwo is where I think Vedder is talking about this tank attack on airfield 2.

It's amazing what deep-trawls of YouTube will turn up Jim. There's a wealth of untapped visual archive material on there!

You're right Jim, I read this book very recently and it's really close to what's described by Vedder, a torn and without protection landscape, tanks drawing artillery and mortar fire each time they gathered for an attack.

Very interesting footage, which allow to materialise all the readings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian,

I'm reading "Red Blood, Black Sand" by Chuck Tatum and he also mentions this tank attack. Apparently the flat area around the airfield made this attack quite a depressing sight for anyone near.

• 1 year later...