polystyrene mannequins-Should I worry about offgassing?

AAF_Collection

AAF_Collection

I have several polystyrene mannequins/torso's which I use to display some of my uniforms,but I'm concerned about the long term effects of offgassing from the polystyrene. Should I be concerned? and how exactly does offgassing impact on a uniform displayed on a polystyrene mannequin?.

Thanks,

Matt.

Polystyrene is supposed to be inert, inherently, and should not offgas anything that would be of normal concern unless it interacts with fire or other chemicals including airborne ones.

It is pretty much impervious, unless altered or subjected to chemicals.

The other question would be: just how long do you plan on having your uniform on these forms? Some folks freak out about the conservation aspect, but they might only have the uniform for a couple years. Yet what they worry about is something that would take 20-30 years to occur...if at all. Just needs to be put in context, that's all....

AAF_Collection

Ian :D the day these guys start farting I'm calling an exorcist.

Bluehawk,thanks that puts my mind at ease. The uniforms are not in direct contact with the forms anyway,they all have fabric covers.

Dave,good point. I plan on keeping these for the foreseeable future,and hopefully passing them onto the next caretaker in the same condition I received them. I feel that as well as the display aspect they are probably better off stored on the forms than on hangers.

Thanks,

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...
Captainofthe7th

Hey Matt--I have a comfortable amount of experience with polystyrene and a variety of other thermoplastics, and I agree that styrene is safe, and like bluehawk said, will only put out gasses when heated or when in contact with chemicals. And at this point, you won't be doing any thermo-forming or solvent welding, so it is stable. If it is white styrene, it can yellow with age, but this takes years to happen and it is not harmful. Since you have fabric covers I definitely wouldn't worry about anything.

Rob