M1 Carbine

Tony641

I've wanted one of these for a long time now and saw this one for sale. I probably paid a bit to much for her but could not pass. I'm trying to figure out what I can about her so anyone who can offer anything I would really appreciate it. I added photos of the markings I could locate, I'll describe the locations the best I can. The barrel is Saginaw as is the receiver. The hammer is marked "U". There is an "F" on the inside bottom of the receiver, there is a 3 on what I'm calling the trigger housing, as well as on the rear sight. Also on the inside to the front of the trigger is what I think is a "GE-O". On the right side of the rear sight is a LR CO. On the sling bracket is an "AI". There is an unknown marking on the trigger guard and a "M" on the stock where the sling is at. On the bottom of the barrel there is a marking but I can't make it out. The last couple are a "M" on the mag release and on the safety. Here are the pictures:

Thanks for the help and for looking.

OK I can't load them from my phone. I will work on getting them to my computer and load them from there.

Ok pictures are up. Most are self explanatory. The 2nd picture in the first column is the unknown marking on the trigger guard. The one across from that on is a -U- on the inside of the receiver (I forgot to mention it above). The 3rd picture in the second comumn is of the GE-O (not sure if you can see it or not, its under the spring in front). The 4th pictures or an overview ten a close up of the 3 on the receiver. The GQ and LU are on 2 of the mags I received. The Made in USA are on the others. The last picture is another view of the M on the stock. There may be a marking above and to the right of the M but I cant make it out if it is one.

Thanks again.

The unknown marking on the bottom of the trigger guard is a poorly stamped ordnance bomb. The rest is all from a rather poor memory (do not have my book out). The U on the hammer IIRC is Underwood. The M on the stock is a WWII made replacment stock and I am guessing it is a later M2 style stock. IR Co on the rear sight is a replacement sight which was made for Inland I think. Any thing other than that and I'd have to hunt down one of my books that are all still packed up.

Congrats on the carbine. Yours looks like a typical post-WWII rebuild which would account for the adjustable rear sight & rotary safety. The AAM indicates a rebuild at Augusta Arsenal. The AI on the barrel band indicates manufacture by AutoTyre for Inland. Your made in the USA marked mags are post-WWII & likely not USGI. The GQ mag is one made by Groetchen Tool Co. for Quality Hardware, and the LU is an Underwood mag made by M.S. Little Co. The info is from the War Baby books by Larry Ruth and U.S. M1 Carbines by Reisch. Hope this helps & enjoy your Carbine.

Tim