Framed Displays.

Jim Baker

Jim, Like everything else you do, extremely well done, and appealing to the eye. Looking forward to seeing more of your of your collection. Jack Angolia

These are a few of the many items that I've collected and framed. Unfortunately I haven't been able to organize, display, or hang any of my items as I'm in the process of evicting the Barbie dolls and finishing my basement. The thing I like most about framing and matting items is that they can be displayed almost anywhere in the house and it really brings life to them. Maybe these photos will give everyone else ideas for their items. I'll try and provide a brief description of each and why I chose it.

This is a small, complete newspaper that is mounted by "floating" it on a sheet of matting. It is only held in place by clear, adhesive corner pieces in which the corners of the newspaper are tucked into. Floating the newspaper maintains its integrity and its value by not permanently affixing it to anything. The bold headlines is what attracted me to this one.

post-104736-0-95423100-1361723430.jpg

This newsaper is the same size as the previous and was mounted in the same manner. In addition to bold headlines, the action photos make this one very appealing to me also.

post-104736-0-56346500-1361723716.jpg

This map is one of the few items related to my grandfather who was a captain in Signal Corps for the Birtish army. He participated in the Battle of Dunkrik. Because this map was very wrinkly and had many crease marks, I decided to have it dry mounted to remove all those. The finished product was very smooth. When dry mounting it's important to remember that you are pretty much permanently affixing it to a different surface. In this case, I chose to do this because this will probably remain with me for life. Not too mention these types of maps are fairly common and relatively inexpensive.

post-104736-0-96854000-1361724246.jpg

Again, here is another floated newspaper, only much larger. Because of it's size the folds are still visible (that's sometimes the nature of the beast). I chose this because it too is related to the Battle of Dunkirk

post-104736-0-61533400-1361724432.jpg

This come from a local estate sale of a B-17 pilot (Bartlet Smith). This was one of the few things remaining from his mask, helmet, jacket, etc. after a couple of fools nearly got into a fist fight to be the first to buy his items. It only cost me a $1.00. It was in somewhat decent shape although some tape marks and mildew spots are present on the front. That didn't matter to me because as far as I was concerned this once belonged to this pilot and that was good enough for me. This was dry mounted (because of zero monetary value) also. I was extremely satisified with the before and after on this.

post-104736-0-76283800-1361725417.jpg

Last one...I'd thought I'd share this again as I posted this on here before. It's one of my favorites. Original Bronze Star Citation and medal loosely mounted on acid free foam backer board and acid free mat. I added the SSI to give it a more finished look.

Thanks for looking everyone!

post-104736-0-44549600-1361725874.jpg

Sparty,

Great material!! Thanks for adding it here.

I've learned a lot from all of the contributors. I think this is a wonderful way to display collections.

Is it time to pin this one??

Nice pieces. The bomber print is awesome! Did you do the framing yourself or have it done at a shop?

The pieces I have had mounted were Art Prints and a few photographs, they were all done with archival triple matte and uv acrylic. Would this method not work for newspaper or maps? My concern has always been the item getting stuck to the glass.

TRR,

These were all done at the frame shop in my local Hobby Lobby store. I often buy their ready made frames when they are on sale at 50% off, which is about every other week. Not to mention they have a weekly coupon good for 40% off that I use towards matting or UV glass. They do a great job and are WAY cheaper than Michael's. Other times I have custom frames made when I have an unusual size. Lately I have entertained the thought of doing my own custom framing. But that's another story for later.

I have used UV glass and acid free materials on 99% of everyhing I have framed. My newspaper prints are behind UV glass. Thin plastic spacers can be used to create a "layer of air" between the newspaper and glass that are hidden inside the framing. If you have prints matted, that usually is enough to create this space. The same idea would follow for arranging photographs. I was told by the framers that condensation could be a potential problem many years down the road. By many I mean 20-25. In which case, the print would need to be removed and the glass wiped down but again that's 20-25 years down the road. Bottom line as long as you are creating some kind of space it should be okay.

Lastly, I would be hesitant to dry mount anything of value as, like I said earlier, it can effect the value. However, if it didn't, I would dry mount everything because it looks the nicest.

Hope this helps,

Mike