Framed Displays.

Jim Baker

2nd Lt. Harold F. Edie - 1st KIA Officer from the 26th (Yankee) Division

Cpl. Jules Hauterman - Korean War KIA

post-248-1309996914.jpg

post-248-1309996926.jpg

USS Alabama, BB-60 display:

Closeup of mailing label:

I had this on the wall in my office for a year, and frequently got attention from it - the BBs with 16" guns were tremendous fire support platforms! I purchased the picture (in it's WW2 mailing "tube") from a forum member, and subsequently had it mounted. It was mailed off the ship by a Navy LT to somebody in Wisconsin.

The medals are mostly period devices, to replicate what's currently painted on the ship's bridge (note, that does not equal what the Navy officially recognizes...) For some reason, the USN never awarded the ship the EAME medal, despite her Murmansk Run in 1943. Anyhow, I enjoyed emailing with the curator at Battleship Memorial Park, who was most helpful, as well as a couple of folks at the Navy Historical department.

I've enjoyed this thread!
Steve

post-96964-0-66845800-1489674846.jpg

post-96964-0-25693000-1489674847.jpg

RustyCanteen

The displays have an interesting variety to them.

Neat!

We usually think of a display as a mannequin, sometimes forget what other items can add to a display.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Captainofthe7th

Thought I would add a couple more pieces since I am home again and working on framing a few more items. Here's a simple patch display of the main Army units in Korea. Still missing a 5th RCT.

I really like this 2nd ID patch from the 30s, so I wanted to be able to see it rather than tuck it away in a box.

Rob

post-96964-0-53037100-1489674931_thumb.jpg

post-96964-0-72634800-1489674934_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Added this one today. This was made as a gift to my in-laws in honor of their son. I love this new matting. Really adds to the desert theme.

Any one else have anything new to add?

post-78-0-84228300-1355524948_thumb.jpg

This is my uncle's German map he carried with the 70th Div. He has handwritten notes around the outer edge. He is in the top photo, the bottom photos are once he took at Dachau concentration camp.

This is a large grided firing map of Iwo Jima, with Japanese and English translations. The Marine that gave it to me said he got it from the trash when he left the island and boarded a ship.

Nice!! I love these. Imagine finding that in the trash. Actually, then and there it probably didn't mean much. I'm glad he had the foresight to grab it. A nice souvenir for him and now us.

CNY Militaria

Those maps look fantastic framed! I have a few maps of the Pacific with boming missions marked on it I may do this to someday.

Added this one today. This was made as a gift to my in-laws in honor of their son. I love this new matting. Really adds to the desert theme.

Any one else have anything new to add?

post-78-0-84228300-1355524948_thumb.jpg

I like it! You used fabric to make this matting?

I like it! You used fabric to make this matting?

No. It is a new matting offered at Michael's. I was going to do it the same way I did the Eisenhower frame, but then saw this. It matches the uniform he is wearing in the photo and of course goes so much better with the current conflict.

• 1 month later...

Jim just made me aware of this thread so I thought I would share a few of my framed displays.

The first I put together myself. The Purple Heart and Bronze Star are named to Barry Jason Goodman, 5th SFG, who was killed in action on February 13th, 1967 in Tay Ninh, South Vietnam. Also acquired with the group was Barry's National Defense Medal and RVN Gallantry Cross. All other items in the display were acquired separately, however are of the period with the exception of the Vietnam Campaign Medal.

More info on Barry and his service can be found here:

http://www.usmilitar...ouping-kia-sfg/

The display was hell to put together (did the matting and mounting myself), but I was very pleased with the outcome. I've used this design for 2 subsequent displays and now have the process down pat.

post-29885-0-47029400-1360869013.jpg

The second display is a tribute to my father in-law, who also served in Vietnam. The ribbon bar, P38 and Expert Rifle Badge are his. The remaining items were acquired seperate for the display. The photo is an original he sent home to my mother in-law when they were dating.

More info on my father in-law can be found here:

http://www.usmilitar...-father-in-law/

Again, same basic design of the previous display. I have a third which is a tribute to my great-uncle, however have yet to take photos of it.

post-29885-0-90029700-1360869636.jpg

I believe this would classify as a framed display. This is something I put together to showcase my WWI 1911. The fabric is velvet which has been applied over foam, which was cut-out in the shape of the 1911. The other items were WWI odd and ends I had lying around, of course with the exception of the modern 1st infantry SSI.

post-29885-0-87570700-1360870049.jpg

Sweet! I really like the 1911 frame. You can easily pick up a period 1st Inf patch on eBay.

Thanks for posting these Eric!!

Thanks for the kind words, Jim! And by the way, your Purple Heart display on the first page of this thread is stunning!

As for the 1st InfDiv insignia, been meaning to pickup a period one for quite some time now; One of these days I'll get around to it!

Here are two other displays that I thought I would share.

The first I put together and is a tribute to my great uncle, William Scott Tull. William was a top-turret gunner in the 8th AAF, 398th BG, 603rd BS.

William was killed in action on October 15th, 1944.

None of the items in the display are William's. His posthumous Purple Heart is missing however I do have a part of the original paperwork that came with it as well as an original of the photo in the frame and numerous original documents from his service (training certificates, etc.).

post-29885-0-25499200-1361289048.jpg

The second was purchased as is and I imagine it was put together either by the vet or a family member of the vet. Sadly, nothing to ID the soldier was present in the frame.

post-29885-0-76851700-1361289152.jpg

My Grandfather's things framed. Belleau Wood veteran of 2/5 Marines and later 1/5. Original SSI (not his), repro discs:

post-9621-0-10420600-1361391599.jpg

Medals issued in 1973 (originals location unknown).

post-9621-0-93813000-1361391632.jpg