Framed Displays.

Jim Baker

Those are some outstanding displays that are framed by some top-notch framers! What was the glass selection for these permanent framed displays? I know that there are differing opinions on what constitutes the best UV protection. Just curious as to the direction you took.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Beautiful museum quality pieces. This is the kind of display that catches the eye. :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for posting these.

Belleauwood
Those are some outstanding displays that are framed by some top-notch framers! What was the glass selection for these permanent framed displays? I know that there are differing opinions on what constitutes the best UV protection. Just curious as to the direction you took.

Many Thanks for the nice words. - All framed images and documents are done with acid free matting and a heavy, highly rated UV glass. None are dry mounted, but are backed with an acid free art board.

DJ

Jim,

Excellent job mounting your collection. In fact everyone that has posted has done a magnificant job. Almost ashamed to post a couple of mine.

I made the frames myself out of an old mahogney quartermaster table that had been discarded at Ft. Benning years ago.

The first is a Certifate of Graduation and pic of Lt. Edward Avirell.

The second is Lt. Earl Forsyth's US and Italian wings, he is wearing the italian wing in the photo and a pic of his bomber that he flew while flying with the Italians.

And last are a few WW1 Air Service collar insignia received directly from the vet or their family.

Please excuse the quality of the pic, had to take at an angle to cut glare.

Terry

post-6022-1309440606.jpg

post-6022-1309440630.jpg

Terry,

Excellent frames! I really love these. Hopefully, one day I can get the basement and line the walls with these kinds of displays.

Those are nice too.

How did you attach the insignia?

Erwin

Jeeper,

I simply punch a couple small holes through the backing and close the pin on the back side. As for the bullion wings, I tack each tip with a piece of black thread that holds them in place.

Terry

Terry,

Excellent frames! I really love these. Hopefully, one day I can get the basement and line the walls with these kinds of displays.

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words.

I was fortunate in that the wife let me have two spare bedrooms form my junk. Attached are a couple walls, even with the two rooms one never has enough space it would seem.

Terry

post-6022-1309458196.jpg

post-6022-1309458222.jpg

Terry,

I love the rooms. Right now I'm turning a tad green. You have some great looking items on those walls. Those are the kind of rooms you want to walk through and read everything.

Terry,

I love the rooms. Right now I'm turning a tad green. You have some great looking items on those walls. Those are the kind of rooms you want to walk through and read everything.

Jim,

Thanks, been at it for about 55 years now, but can't even come close to Belleauwood's or Cliff's fantastic collection or the collections of some of the other members. But I appreciate the generous csomments.

Terry

post-123-1309478275.jpg

Its not quite a frame but I mount my Navy Purple Hearts in Ship Portholes.Robert

Robert,

That is a great idea! This is what I was hoping to get out of this thread. You older (errr, I mean more experienced) guys have some great ideas for displays. I am definitely saving this thread in my favorites.

Terry,

Man, you've been at it longer than I've been alive. And to be honest, I'm reaching that age that it feels pretty good to be able to say that. ;)

Please keep them coming guys. These are really impressive!!!!

Belleauwood
Robert,

That is a great idea! This is what I was hoping to get out of this thread. You older (errr, I mean more experienced) guys have some great ideas for displays. I am definitely saving this thread in my favorites.

Terry,

Man, you've been at it longer than I've been alive. And to be honest, I'm reaching that age that it feels pretty good to be able to say that. ;)

Please keep them coming guys. These are really impressive!!!!

Robert, Looks like you carry'em around in your pick-up bed. If you need then on a wall send your groups up here and I'll put'em on my wall.

Great Idea,

Dennis Jackson

Robert, Looks like you carry'em around in your pick-up bed. If you need then on a wall send your groups up here and I'll put'em on my wall.

Great Idea,

Dennis Jackson

Dang Dennis,That is my wall.I live in that truck :lol: .Robert

THis came from a Captain who served in the 36th Division.He had this framed and displayed in his office according to his family.

post-342-1309577897.jpg

Here is one of mine and the story that goes with it. I posted this on another site awhile back and now I'll share it here.

Josey

34zyluv.jpg

The story of this group

As WW2 fades farther and farther into history and we lose the vets who served bravely by the hundreds daily, stories like I am about to share are becoming more commonplace.

A retired friend of mine who likes to shop at flea markets and yard sales for items he can resell on the internet happened upon one such yard sale and after purchasing a few things asked if they had any military items. The lady at the yard sale stated she did have a few things but they were bagged up and ready for the trash as she didn’t think anyone would be interested in old Army stuff. My friend says, well I know a guy who is very interested in old Army stuff and asked to take a look at it if he could. After seeing what was in the bag he immediately called me and told me to get this house as soon as I could after work.

So after work I arrived at the house of the folks who were having the sale and after exchanging the usual pleasantries they showed me what they were about to throw out with the trash.

Trying to keep my eyes from falling out of my head I asked, whose items these where. The lady stated that these things were her brothers and that she was his only living relative and that is why she had them and since she had no desire to keep this stuff she didn’t think anyone else would want it either.

After explaining that I do collect this sort of thing, I paid her quite well for what she thought was junk and now it was her turn to be in shock. I explained that while I am a collector of militaria, my collection is not kept private. I am called several times a year to set up displays for various functions such as Veterans holidays, war memorial dedications and the like. I told her that her brothers group of items were very special and would be professionally displayed and viewed by many people and his memory would live on.

Which then brought her to tears as she said, “I had no idea these things meant so much to other people”.

Here is the history that was saved, Sgt. Warren R. Thompson-B-29 tail gunner, Purple Heart, Air Medal, Campaign Medals, WW2 Victory Medal, P.O.W. Medal, Wings, Qualification Badges, I.D’d Crew Photo, Patches, photo receiving the Purple Heart at a hospital ceremony, Western Union telegrams notifying his mother of his MIA status and updates, his handwritten account of his torture at the hands of the Japanese in the prison where he was held. Also among this group is a period government print out of all the Americans that were held in this Japanese prison. Plus, all of the general paperwork of a G.I.

As a side note I was able to locate the last surviving member of this B-29 crew, the right waist gunner, Clarence Pressgrove and we have since talked several times and I was given all of the particulars on their mission how the plane was brought down and their subsequent capture. He then was kind enough to write these things down and send to me. He was also just recently awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his action taken on one of their missions and included that information as well as a video copy of the award presentation.

And now as the late Paul Harvey used to say,” the rest of the story” or as much of it as I know anyway.

Fate of B-29 aircrew no. 4013 and aircraft no.54 serial no.42-69675 “The Peacemaker” of the 20th Air Force, 6th Bomb Group, 40th Squadron.

The late afternoon of March 28, 1945 started out like any other night mission for the crew of The Peacemaker. The crew left Tinian Island along with 29 other aircraft from the 6th Bomb Grp. In route to the western entrance to Japan’s inland sea, the Shimonseki Straits where they would participate in the laying of mines. After completion of dropping their mines they were almost immediately struck by a flak burst on the right inboard engine causing it and the wing to burst into flames. The aircraft commander 1st Lt. William Grounds attempted to extinguish the fire by putting the bird into a steep dive and pulling out. This seemed to work, however moments later the wing was again in flames. After a second attempt with the same results 1st Lt. Grounds ordered his crew to bail out while they still had a chance to get out.

The entire crew successfully bail out of the stricken craft and landed completely separated from each other and would not see each other until their release at wars end. In the words of Sgt. Clarence Pressgrove, the right waist gunner…. It was pitch black when we left the plane and I had no idea where I was going to land and when I did, I hit the ground hard. At least it wasn’t in the water. I looked for a place to hide as best as I could until daylight. Daylight came and I found myself right in the middle of a farm. Japanese people were everywhere and I knew they had to be looking for me and the rest of the crew since I am sure the saw our plane go down. Well a couple of them were about to walk right on top of me, so I made my move and started running as fast I could go, and being a track athlete in high school I could move pretty quick and was having no problem out distancing myself from them. What I didn’t count on was one of them being quite accurate at hurling a big rock at me. That rock struck me square on the right temple knocking me down. Then they were on me screaming, kicking, punching and I was even stabbed with a pitchfork. I think what saved me from being killed was that some Japanese soldiers were there and they wanted a prisioner. I was taken to the Tokyo Kempei Tai prison. I was not treated good there. I was starved near to death, was beaten daily and forced to endure some extreme torture.

From the words of Sgt. Warren Thompson, the tail gunner……….I was five months in solitary confinement and forced into a knelling position 16 hours a day. Daily I was threatened with death and was kicked and hit about the body and face. I was handcuffed and left locked in the cell during the numerous American fire bomb raids with no hope of surviving. I was covered with lice, bed bugs and mosquitoes. I was starved down to less than 100 pounds and I was always cold. I was held by the Kempei Tai police until 15 Aug. 1945 then taken to a P.O.W. camp on Tokyo Bay until 29 Aug. 1945 where released by the U.S. Navy

It was at this camp on Tokyo Bay that the crew of The Peacemaker were reunited, none of them knowing what became of each other.

This group is of a father and son, both West Point graduates. I aquired this group from the daughter of the son along with all of his West Point stuff. Col.Raymond S. Pratt Lt. Col. Raymond S. Pratt, Jr.

post-96964-0-47784000-1489674714_thumb.jpg

post-96964-0-37837700-1489674715_thumb.jpg

Oh man, more great frames! Thanks guys, these are really nicely done and extremely interesting.

Josey,

Thanks especially for the story of Sgt. Thompson. Another great piece of history saved! :thumbsup:

canteenman

Jim-

I believe my mother picked up the two sided frame at TJ Maxx...she's very good about finding stuff for me. I haven't seen any since but I also haven't been looking. It's basically a shadowbox style construction with two panes of glass and a wood frame behind those that sits inside of the main frame. I am not if it is even designed to be used like this - you are probably supposed to fill up the space with a picture that fills the area. Now that you've started this topic and made me appreciate the value of seeing both sides of an object I will hunt for more.

Here's another poster I have framed - I only show this because it is my work. Back in highschool we were assigned a computer graphics project where we were to take an image and make a text mask in photoshop...I chose to use the lyrics from the Box Tops' song 'The Letter' and the infamous picture of this GI from Vietnam. My teacher selected it to enter in the Scholastic Art Awards and I received a "Silver Key" for it (second to a Gold Key, I think). I am very proud of that so I figured I would display it. I'd never been recognized on that level before for any of my work, and I was really glad that I chose to do a military themed piece.

Of course I have to say that the photograph doesn't do it justice....(it does look a bit nicer in person. The GI is black and white but I made his eyes blue...it's a nice touch that you can't quite see from here).

My other framed displays are nothing special...but I sure am inspired after this thread.

Rob

Rob, I really love all your framed stuff and got some good ideas, but this one you did really struck me. Great job.
Chet

High,some really nice peices here, just thought i would post a photo of a framed peice i have,, a Vietnam era 101st SERTS guidon

post-39868-1309974677.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1309992353.jpg

A while back, I acquired one of the Eisenhower leaflets from D Day.

I then decided to start this thread to see what others have done with framed displays. I, and I think others are always looking for new ideas. Oh, and I apologize for the angled shots. It was the best way to avoid that glare from the flash.

Thanks.

Hi Jim, like what you have done with the leaflet and Eisenhower, and thanks for allowing others to join in your topic. :thumbsup:

This frame was already together when I acquired it and two others and stated on the rear done by ' daughters of the revolution ', the one shown above has the tounge from a service boot added into the centre.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1309992537.jpg

Cont ...........

Hi Jim, thanks for allowing others to join in your topic. :thumbsup:

A second frame of WWI patches.

ken