Framed Displays.

Jim Baker

A while back, I acquired one of the Eisenhower leaflets from D Day. I was wondering what others thought about framing these or leaving them loose. I know many collectors hate to permanently "encase" things because, well, we like to touch. I thought about it, and as with most paper items that have only one side printed, I decided to frame it. This is the result. The matting is a green velvet. I really like this material for framing and used it in a PH frame. Comments are most welcome.

I then decided to start this thread to see what others have done with framed displays. I, and I think others are always looking for new ideas. Oh, and I apologize for the angled shots. It was the best way to avoid that glare from the flash.

Thanks.

post-78-1307068041.jpg

This is a display of my Father's shellback certificate from 1944, his Geneva Conventions card, and a commemorative card from Operation Crossroads.

post-78-1307068794.jpg

These are sheets of stamps that commemorated the 50th anniversary of WWII. It was a pain waiting on these because they released each sheet one per year. Anyway, in 1995 I had two of each year and made up two of these, one for me and one for Dad. This one hung in his dining room until he died.

post-78-1307068955.jpg

This is display for a 6th Armored Infantryman killed at Anzio in May 1944.

These are the only permanently framed items I currently own. I have several in Rikers mounts, but you know, those are the ones I have to touch. :)

Thanks for looking and I look forward to seeing what you've done.

post-78-1307069249.jpg

Because we like to touch.... is the exact reason why to permanently encase these items. It protects them(if done right) from incidental damage. Very well done Jim!

Jack's Son

Jim,

Your choice of Ike's picture could not have been better........the look tells of the events taking place at the time these documents were written.

Corpsmancollector

Fantastic displays Jim! I particularly like how you have laid out the last one, with the purple heart. Museum quality stuff!

Will

Captainofthe7th

Very nice Jim...every time I see displays like this I think "hm, I need to do something like this..."

Here is my solution for items that I like to display in a frame but also wish to see the front and back. Unfortunately, this is the only frame I have like this yet and I have plenty of material to display like this. This is a rather poor example since the reverse is not very interesting.

I will show more of my framed 'stuff' later!

Rob

Belleauwood
A while back, I acquired one of the Eisenhower leaflets from D Day. I was wondering what others thought about framing these or leaving them loose. I know many collectors hate to permanently "encase" things because, well, we like to touch. I thought about it, and as with most paper items that have only one side printed, I decided to frame it. This is the result. The matting is a green velvet. I really like this material for framing and used it in a PH frame. Comments are most welcome.

I then decided to start this thread to see what others have done with framed displays. I, and I think others are always looking for new ideas. Oh, and I apologize for the angled shots. It was the best way to avoid that glare from the flash.

Thanks.

post-78-1307068041.jpg

Jim,

You've done a splendid job here! - I personally like to have items framed if possible for a number of reasons. Visibility and preservation are the most critical for me. I enjoy walking around my museum room and see my items on display rather than having to "find'em somewhere"

Well done.

Dennis

Rakkasan187

Jim,

Great job, and I would also like to add for those young collectors who don't know or understand about document preservation/conservation. It is very important to be carefeul when handling old documents such as paper discharge certificates and other related items. Although not noticeable in the short term, if documents are handled without protection on the hands such as cotton gloves, the oils, sweat and dirt that are most commonly found on hands, even after thorough washing and drying can do irreversible damage to a fragile document. It is better to have documents such as the D-Day letters protected from the elements as the paper ages and becomes more brittle.

Excellent displays everyone...

Leigh..

Very well done, Jim!

Here a few of mine;

They're all in a room that's blocked from sunlight permanently (as is the rest of my collection).

Erwin

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind comments and posts. I thought the Ike frame was appropriate for this time of year.

Rob,

I like the two sided display frame. Where did you find this?

Erwin,

Your frame continues to grow!

* A funny story on the Ike frame. While I was working with the framer, a lady I'm sure a little older than myself was waiting behind me. She looked at the photo of Ike, and she asks, "Is that someone you know? Is it real?". As much as I wanted to laugh out loud, I just explained who the General was. I think the light bulb went on when I told her he was later President Eisenhower. :)

Thanks again, and I hope some others will post some framed items.

Captainofthe7th

Jim- I believe my mother picked up the two sided frame at TJ Maxx...she's very good about finding stuff for me. I haven't seen any since but I also haven't been looking. It's basically a shadowbox style construction with two panes of glass and a wood frame behind those that sits inside of the main frame. I am not if it is even designed to be used like this - you are probably supposed to fill up the space with a picture that fills the area. Now that you've started this topic and made me appreciate the value of seeing both sides of an object I will hunt for more. Here's another poster I have framed - I only show this because it is my work. Back in highschool we were assigned a computer graphics project where we were to take an image and make a text mask in photoshop...I chose to use the lyrics from the Box Tops' song 'The Letter' and the infamous picture of this GI from Vietnam. My teacher selected it to enter in the Scholastic Art Awards and I received a "Silver Key" for it (second to a Gold Key, I think). I am very proud of that so I figured I would display it. I'd never been recognized on that level before for any of my work, and I was really glad that I chose to do a military themed piece. Of course I have to say that the photograph doesn't do it justice....(it does look a bit nicer in person. The GI is black and white but I made his eyes blue...it's a nice touch that you can't quite see from here). My other framed displays are nothing special...but I sure am inspired after this thread. Rob

post-96964-0-27137100-1489673837_thumb.jpg

I suppose this is kind of appropriate given the D-Day connection? This is a box-frame containing some .30 rifle shell cases recovered from the set of Saving Private Ryan. Sorry for the poor picture quality!

post-8022-1307307724.jpg

Sabrejet

Jim-

I believe my mother picked up the two sided frame at TJ Maxx...she's very good about finding stuff for me. I haven't seen any since but I also haven't been looking. It's basically a shadowbox style construction with two panes of glass and a wood frame behind those that sits inside of the main frame. I am not if it is even designed to be used like this - you are probably supposed to fill up the space with a picture that fills the area. Now that you've started this topic and made me appreciate the value of seeing both sides of an object I will hunt for more.

Here's another poster I have framed - I only show this because it is my work. Back in highschool we were assigned a computer graphics project where we were to take an image and make a text mask in photoshop...I chose to use the lyrics from the Box Tops' song 'The Letter' and the infamous picture of this GI from Vietnam. My teacher selected it to enter in the Scholastic Art Awards and I received a "Silver Key" for it (second to a Gold Key, I think). I am very proud of that so I figured I would display it. I'd never been recognized on that level before for any of my work, and I was really glad that I chose to do a military themed piece.

Of course I have to say that the photograph doesn't do it justice....(it does look a bit nicer in person. The GI is black and white but I made his eyes blue...it's a nice touch that you can't quite see from here).

My other framed displays are nothing special...but I sure am inspired after this thread.

Rob

Rob,

That is killer. My youngest daughter is into graphic arts (learning) so I know what went into this. I love it! Great imagination and skill are evident in your work. You should keep at it. I'm going to show her this and maybe inspire her into making something for her old man.

Thanks for sharing it!!

Although it's not truly "framed", since it's D Day I thought I would post this little tribute to Dick Winters. Major Winters sent me the card in 2004 (I think) and the patches and badges are from my collection. If I'm ever able to afford a real 506th pocket patch, I'll change it up.

I'm in the process of doing another with a 101st patch and DUI from the mini series and a repro 506th pocket patch to honor all the guys of the 506th. I hate repro stuff, but since the 101 patch is a movie prop I guess it will be OK until I hit the lotto.

post-78-1307380338.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Lucky 7th Armored

So If i read correctly you paid someone to do this for you Jim? It looks really really good!!!!!!

Im wondering if i stop by the crafts store and make something that might look half as good as yours!

Haydn

So If i read correctly you paid someone to do this for you Jim? It looks really really good!!!!!!

Im wondering if i stop by the crafts store and make something that might look half as good as yours!

Haydn

Hi Haydn,

I do OK with Riker mounts, but for permanently framed pieces I have them done. I design what I want and pick out the materials. Then it's up to the framer. I don't do this often, so although it's expensive, it's spread out over time.

Belleauwood

Jim,

A couple of mine - Framed original photo of Pilot Hank Llewellyn and his Observer, Roland Neel with a photo of them together in front of their Salmson. Both are wearing their DSC's

post-3422-1309394795.jpg

Belleauwood

post-3422-1309394833.jpg

Llewellyn's DSC Document, Citation on parchment paper and photo of him receiving his DSC. Rickenbacker is on his left awaiting his DSC.