Id'd FG58 sunglasses

ReverendJake

For a while I've been after a pair of Vietnam era FG58's with silver frames for an advisor impression that I've been working on. Unfortunately Vietnam era FG58's with silver frames are hard to come by. I ended up settling on a mid 1980's pair (identical aside from markings). The pair I bought happened to belong to an Air Force colonel. He and his wife have a store on e-bay. The name is Col. Tom Billick, I don't have much info on him, but these sunglasses sure are great.

post-104618-0-30969100-1361663408.jpg

post-104618-0-80909200-1361663418.jpg

Reverandjake,

I will look through my drawers and see if I can find some of mine. I had a number of these from VN up until I stopped flying in 85. I recall seeing a couple pair somewhere around here, what markings should I be looking for in the VN period glasses? If I find them will send you a PM and if you can use them, your welcome to them.

Terry

I was issued two pair and both had gold frames, I was in the Air Force 1968-1972. I didn't fly but was issued them since I drove vehicles, I could have gotten clip-ons since I wear glasses, but I had gotten prescription sun glasses at Pearl Optical before I went overseas. They were identical to what the Air Force issued, same manufacturer and numbers on them.

Reverandjake,

I will look through my drawers and see if I can find some of mine. I had a number of these from VN up until I stopped flying in 85. I recall seeing a couple pair somewhere around here, what markings should I be looking for in the VN period glasses? If I find them will send you a PM and if you can use them, your welcome to them.

Terry

The glasses issues from 1958-1982 were made by American Optical, the only way to tell if an American Optical pair is VN era is by the DSA number on the case. I have not seen them in silver in person, but I know for a fact that they were produced and issued during Vietnam, but the gold ones tend to be much more common.