MICHIGAN MILITARY & SPACE MUSEUM SPOILS OF WAR DISPLAY

BEAST

I think the Michigan Military & Space Museum in Frankenmuth has one of the best displays of Axis materials. In my opinion they have presented them in the best manner possible, as trophies of the victors.

post-203-0-05698400-1361651093.jpg

I have been there and was impressed the way Axis items are shown -- as war trophies and not to glorify the Axis powers.

G

The SS helmets are fake. They were reviewed by Ken Niewiarowicz for the owner and he was informed as such. I am sad to see them there... Scott

The SS helmets are fake. They were reviewed by Ken Niewiarowicz for the owner and he was informed as such. I am sad to see them there... Scott

I was under the impression the owner had those axis items donated to the museum, so if the helmets aren't original he's out nothing. There is quite an impressive collection of Medals of Honor there also.

I was under the impression the owner had those axis items donated to the museum, so if the helmets aren't original he's out nothing. There is quite an impressive collection of Medals of Honor there also.

The helmets were bought at a significant price and upon learning they were no good they were put here... Someday they will reappear and the unlucky buyer will say "these must be good, they came from a museum..." I don't think anything "evil" is planned here, just pointing out the story. The museum has a fantastic collection and is well worth a visit. The Bozich brothers have been local collectors for decades and are still doing shows now. Scott.

So someone bought the SS helmets, found out they were faked and then donated them? I bet they wrote off the 'donation' on their taxes, and it wasn't the value of 2 faked helmets either.

So someone bought the SS helmets, found out they were faked and then donated them? I bet they wrote off the 'donation' on their taxes, and it wasn't the value of 2 faked helmets either.

No Matt, the Stan, the founder bought the helmets because he thought they were good. He took them to Ken Niewiarowicz who wrote Germany's Combat Helmets A Modern Study for his valuation. Ken told him in great detail everything that was wrong with these pieces and then offered to do a written Appraisal if you will, so Stan could possibly get his money back as it was a very significant sum. Instead the helmets are in the museum and as I said, will likely show up again in years to come as having been from a reputable museum. Hence the new buyer if uninformed will think he got something good. This is always a danger with museums as people tend to think all museum items are good as they are donated and the fact is museums make purchases and many use reproductions.

So, Michigan's Own is a great museum with a great collection, but not all is what it seems. The same can be said for many museums and just because the guy is a longtime collector and dealer, it doesn't mean he knows everything about the hobby. He got taken by someone with bad helmets and for whatever reason chose to display them rather than try to pursue a refund. That is his business, I just wish he wouldn't have as I think it detracts from the fantastic items in the museum. Hope this clears things up. Scott.

P.S. if a donor wanted to write off the value of an SS helmet and particularly two, he would need a professional appraisal as they would exceed the IRS limit. Museums are not allowed to appraise for this reason, so it would have had to come from elsewhere.