Seeking Nose Art Photo-Or Any Photo of B-17G "Queen of the Stream"-I Think I Have a Piece of It!

p2tharizo

This was found (not by me) in Kingman where many aircraft were scrapped after the war. It's unreadable in the photo, but inside is stenciled "A.F. 43-38718". That Aircraft shows online as a B-17G by the name of "Queen of the Stream". Check it out!

S5001815_zpsb37ba1f4.jpg

S5001816_zps90611569.jpg

S5001817_zpsfddaa439.jpg

I forgot to ask...does anyone know what part of the aircraft that this may have been located? It had a label on the front, but I cannot read it.

Can you post a picture of the label ??

I forgot to ask...does anyone know what part of the aircraft that this may have been located? It had a label on the front, but I cannot read it.

Look closely at the first picture...it's right across the front center. Hard to see it's even there, much less read it.

The last word looks like....... CONTROL

Here'a a diagram of some of the access doors on a B-17...Could it be #5 on the top of the wing...The shape is a little different but ???

post-13070-0-19251000-1361887399.jpg

I e-mailed copies of your photos to a friend of mine who was a B-17 flight engineer. Its amazing how good he is at recognizing little pieces of B-17 parts. When I hear back from you I will post what he says.

In the mean time, I doubt the cover is from the exterior of the plane. Those types of fasteners that stick out would not have been on a cover exposed to the airflow. I have only seen the typical dzus fasteners used on exterior B-17 access panels.

Is the panel curved in just one direction or does it curve in all directions (like part of a sphere)?

Marty

Ok, I heard back from my friend and here is his reply:

Marty, This is a WAG..but these COULD be the access covers over the ammo recesses on the ball turret.... (1) They are slightly curved, and (2) The holddown latches are of the type to be turned quickly to reload the ammo recesses for each gun..left and right...the two ammo recesses were along each other, with one half feeding the left gun, and the other feeding the right gun.

The turret guns would have to be in the stowed postion to re-load..that is...in the same as takeoff and landing.

I can think of only one other possibility,which is the access panels to remove the guns on the chin turret.

Jim :-)

Marty...

Very cool! I have examined it after getting home from work-the curvature is from top to bottom-not a sphere. I was also talking to a former Air Force (1970's) mechanic today. I asked him why something such as an access panel would have had an aircraft serial number stenciled in it? His reply was that certain components, panels included, would not always fit just right from one aircraft to another. He said that working on the Phantom, the aircraft would sometimes have to be towed in a figure eight to get the panel behind the cockpit to fit back in correctly, due to airframe flex. I have the opportunity to buy another panel like this one, and another roughly twice the size with serial numbers stenciled on them. I think I may just jump on them...thanks for all the help everyone, and keep it coming!

A reply from one of the members of ArmyAirForces.com:

Sorry I can't help with a photo of this particular Fortress, but I can tell you that this is the left-hand access door for the external life-raft release. For those not familiar, this panel is located on the turtledeck just aft of the life-raft compartment door.

So...where the heck is that door at? Now I'm really confused....

You got it, the small panel behind the big life raft panels, and yes there are such panels on both sides of the plane. It makes sence to have these types of fasteners on such a panel as well.