Large Aluminum German Eagle

mvmhm

One of my volunteers called and said a woman had called us from Mississippi about donating a German railway eagle...by the time I called her, she had already decided to send it to a railroad museum in North Carolina. Later yesterday, I got an email from a man In South Carolina, wanting to donate...a German Eagle his uncle brought back from WWII. His uncle was William D. Vaughan. He knows he was in the army, but nothing beyond that. It's in the mail headed this way, but here's a picture he sent me.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-10601600-1361589999.jpg

Size and design would indicate this is a railway eagle. However, without seeing the reverse, it's difficult to determine if it is original or not. The reverse should have three large screw posts (one on each wing, and one on the swastika) protruding about two inches, plus lettering. It was normal that those actually affixed to the railway cars were finished in a goldish-bronze color over the aluminum eagle. These have been massed produced postwar in fairly large quantities, but with the reverse without the screw posts. Jack Angolia

marks'militaria

Yep, could be modern...aka ReddickMilitaria.back only way to tell...This seems like a moden repro.lack of detail, NO patina, standard 24"" . Most posted now on WAF,etc are POS modern, the posters know it.. but you cannot convince them otherwise.

marks'militaria

FYI the fakers are now installing threaded posts to backside....BUT... they are NOT installing ***METRIC**** a major SNAFU!!!!!!

The eagle arrived today..here's photo's without flash. it has a dull gray appearance on the front with some deep gray remaining on the reverse. The wingspan is approx. 24 inches - I looked at the Reddick eagles, and they're 28 inches wide.

post-3423-0-81386000-1361913832.jpg

post-3423-0-16402500-1361913843.jpg

post-3423-0-20756600-1361913856.jpg

Here are the mounting posts....they're 2 centimeters tall, and 1.5 centimeters wide. I've tried several sizes of nuts on them and none fit.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-87783400-1361914043.jpg

post-3423-0-14730700-1361914055.jpg