U.S. WW2 north africa impression

NCM1RIFLE82

For my north Africa impression I would like to know if it is correct

•wools pre 1941 trousers and shrt

• first pattern hbt trousers (don't know about that)

•haversack 1928 dated 1941

•cartridge belt 1942

•bayonet 10 in repro

•1904 bandage pouch

•1908 bandage tin

•leggings brass fittings original

•canteen cover 1942

•canteen 1918 steel top

•canteen cup 1943

•M1 Garand Winchester

•M1 Steel top 1943 schlueter

Is everything OK for a 1st I.D. I&R

I'm not going to address everything in the post, but regarding the bayonet: You should have a 16 inch M1905 bayonet with either a fiber or even a WWI-era cloth-covered wooden scabbard. Examine photos from the campaigns. That is your best bet when building an impression.

Here is a photo from November 1942. Note the bayonets... http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/ww2_12/w29_11181161.jpg

From March 1943 in Tunisia... http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/ww2_12/w40_30318015.jpg

Just a couple of examples... I hope that helps.

M38 PARSONS JACKET aka early m41 jacket , two canteens with metal caps 1 st ID men carried two canteens due to desert climate , gask mask kidney shape and wind goggles I got pics I will upload tonight.

I'd also use a repro fiber liner. Some guys appear to be using high pressure or low pressure liners also. Guessing high/low pressure liners with rayon suspension.

I have the hawley general fibers liner repro and service shoes

I have a problem with the m38 it is original and I don't want to mess with it is it alright to use m41 or just use it?

I have the hawley general fibers liner repro and service shoes

I have a problem with the m38 it is original and I don't want to mess with it is it alright to use m41 or just use it?

I'm looking at photos right now from a book in my collection about the 1st Infantry Division in North Africa, 90% of the photos show them wearing just their wool shirt with wool trousers obviously having dropped the jacket. The photos that do have them in jackets show a mixture of M38 Parsons, M41 Jackets, and Tanker Jackets, there seems to be a lot of photos of guys in the 16th Infantry Regiment wearing tanker jackets at Kasserine Pass.

I think you will be fine with an M41 jacket.

Post pictures if you can, dont see a lot of North Africa impressions.

Corpl. Cleaver

a M-1 is fine, just make sure you have all the correct features for that time frame.

Like worlmark said, get a 16 inch bayonet and a kidney gas mask and bag.

Post pics when you are done, I look forward to seeing it.

I agree with Corpl. Cleaver, M1 is fine. But personally, I would prefer to see the Springfield. They seem underrepresented EAME reenactments.

The M41 is fine I would never take an original to a reenactment god forbid you rip it or get it damaged. ATF made a m38 jacket for a limited time only but pulled them out due to cost also the first pattern hbts are okay for the boys in north Africa would of try to avoid the wools as much possible to avoid heat illnesses.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a `42-`43 North Africa impression is a great idea and well worth doing. There was a hell of a lot of war before June 6, 1944. Please post pics . Good luck. I have a set of brass fittings leggings that I have thought of using at some point.

Garandomatic

One of my favorite uniforms belonged to a local man that went over with the 34th Division, I don't reenact, but I'd enjoy seeing your impression.