Finally, a respectable display...

I have been collecting for almost two years now. I have been focusing on acquiring things, but did not put much stock into how to display anything. Finally, I went to Ikea to pick up the detlof case that everyone uses, instead I picked up the Billy book case with glass doors and shelves. Here are some pics...

Also, I am strictly focusing on WWII, so if you see anything that does not fit let me know!

Thanks!

post-98749-0-11758700-1361427955.jpg

post-98749-0-86208600-1361427993.jpg

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglas

donation2013.gif

That is a nice case! Your collections looks great!

Leonardo

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

Looking good! That book-case works well.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Also, I am strictly focusing on WWII, so if you see anything that does not fit let me know!

Nice looking display! I've seen everyone with these Ikea display cases and keep meaning to pick one up.

And only because you asked the question above, I thought I'd point out a few of the non-WWII items in the display.

• USAF EM Visor (blue) - The USAF was not established until September 18, 1947
  • Following medals were awarded post WWII - Army Achievement Medal (1981), National Defense Service Medal (1953), Armed Forces Reserve Medal (1950), Army Commendation Medal (Ribbon only from 1945-1960), Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal (1971)

It's of course highly likely that a WWII vet, had they served post war, could have worn/been awarded any of the items I've mentioned above. But as far as being issued during WWII, they were not.

Personally, I would keep them in the display regardless as it looks good the way it's setup.

Eric

ASMIC #5492

Are you a militaria collector in PA, NJ or DE? If so, please feel free to join my "Delaware Valley Militaria Collectors" page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MilitariaCollectorsOfDelawareValley#!/groups/DELVALMILITARIA/

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Great display! I too have tried to improve the display of my items by putting them into glass cases, it just seem so much more professional looking but, those cases can get pricey also. As for the flag, I don't think it's military, it's a bit large compared to those worn by soldiers. I'm thinking just a really nice 40's-50's period civilian 48 star flag. I'd leave it in there anyhow, it looks good!

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks to all the responses and answers to my questions. I'm going to leave everything as is for now, as I get more, I'll take out non-WWII stuff.

Those of you that pointed out the helmets on the book shelf are right! As soon as my basement is done this summer, I'm moving my stuff downstairs and getting a few more shelves.

All in all this displays my two loves...hockey and collecting military items.

donation2013.gif

Thanks, I'm fairly sure you are right. I picked it up at a veterans estate sale.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

donation2013.gif

Really nice!

Will Twomey

In Honor of:

USA General John Wickham (1928-)

USAF Colonel Bernie Fisher MOH (1927-2014)

USMC Sergeant Al De Vito (Chosin Reservoir Survivor) (1926-)

USA Cpl. Macedonio Leyba (Bataan Death March survivor) (1917-2007)

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I got the flag above from an estate sale, anyone know of its uses? Was it an issued flag?

Flags like these are mostly civilian or private purchase.Parade type flags like you see on the wooden sticks.Several sizes were made/used.Not uncommon for soldiers to have one.I have a few even made out of silk.One came in a WW1 group.Another in a WW2 group and the vet said his mother sent it to him.Yet another small flag I have came in a group and was a award for a competition or inspection a veteran was involved in.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in Canton Alktrio, I started collecting there in 1977 and I graduated from Plymouth-Salem in 1985. Seeing that you are starting your collection there brings back many fond memoies for me. I had a lot of friends who I collected with and the times were great! Nice displays and keep up the great work. Scott

donation2013.gif