Hippie Shirt - Could It Be Vietnamese-Made?

VMI88

I found this hippie shirt at a thrift store today:

post-265-0-58081600-1361415015.jpg

It has some similarities to Montagnard shirts or to Vietnamese-made souvenir dashikis. It's made on a hand-guided sewing machine so I don't think it's a genuine Montagnard shirt, but could it be the type that was sold in the bazaars?

Here's a little better view of the collar and the material. The fabric is a colorful coarsely woven material. Some Montagnard shirts show the same workmanship but I'm sure it's not unique to Vietnam. But it doesn't look much like African dashikis I found pictured online. The only other thing I can think is maybe Latin American.

post-265-0-40111400-1361415190.jpg

The answer is probably in the details and I'm hoping some of our vintage clothing experts here can identify it. Here's a view of the inside of the collar showing how a paper backing was used behind the reinforcing stitching.

post-265-0-91989600-1361415534.jpg

Here's one more clue: the lining is made from a flour sack from Togo. That could point to West African origins, but then again France is Togo's largest trading partner, and China does business with them as well. Either of those could explain how a West African flour sack ended up in Vietnam. So I'm stumped. If anyone can identify this shirt I'd appreciate it!

post-265-0-95476600-1361415903.jpg

Bonjour,

Your shirt is a 1000% country made... however not in VN but in Togo.

The liner seems to be a used flour bag. SGMT means Société des Grands Moulins du Togo (Togo mills society located at Lome).

Cheers

Valery