Small MP Group w/ HJ Knife - Flea Market find

Old Marine

This is nothing spectacular but I found this small group at the flea market a few years ago. I was browsing a table and found the ribbon bar, collar brass and the photo lying amongst the jumble. On the ground under the table was a salt water fishing tackle box with the HJ knife tangled up in the rusty hooks and leaders. The knife was coated in crud and the handle was covered in a mass of filthy, old adhesive tape. I bought the knife for an additional dollar.

The 2 guys selling the stuff told me that they cleaned out houses during the week and then sold it all at the flea market on the weekends. When I bought this stuff, of course they had to tell me that they had already sold a jacket and other things earlier that morning. Anyway, knowing that this came from a house clean out I am pretty sure that all this came from the same soldier.

It wasn't until I got home and took a good look at the photo that I noticed that the MP has a HJ knife hanging from his pistol belt. I can't prove it definitively, but I am pretty sure this is the same knife in the photo, this knife probably ended up as his fishing knife.

As I said it's nothing spectacular and there is no name or ID with any of this but I had always thought this was pretty cool to find something with a period photo to back it up.

post-2843-0-14278400-1361408069.jpg

Look at the picture under a magnifying glass and see if you can match the chip missing off of the handle. That would tie it directly to that vet. Thanks for sharing as it is very interesting.

My dad brought back a Walther PPK, and then sold it to my unlce for $35. Then my uncle sold it for a lot more money years ago. :(:wacko: Danny