Patch Identification Guidance Request

skautdog

I'm just starting to become interested in patches although I've collected weapons, field gear and CW items for a long time.

Recently I uncovered a box of patches I had when I was a kid. Yea, I'm an ole coot, the patches are my collection from the 50s (so most are likely WWII/Korea). Back then, kids traded military patches like kids now do baseball cards(if they still do that) or more likely iPad apps.

Any recommendation for a good reference book/website or other reference to get me started? I've found reference books to be invaluable for other collection items. I realize no single source will identify the thousands of patches out there. I believe most of these older patches are Army and AF.

I realize and have used the great reference section on this forum. Any recommendation you might provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

I would suggest you join the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors (ASMIC). The quarterly newsletter list a lot of reference books that are for sale and discounted to ASMIC members. In addition ASMIC also publishes a quarterly journal which can be of great help. There are books for all branches and time periods. Just go to the ASMIC website & you can get joining information. Many of us on this forum are ASMIC members & I highly recommend membership for the serious collector. I've been a member for about 35 years and frequently go to the back issues of the "Trading Post", to dig out patch informationm.

A good online source is TIOH - The Institute of Heraldry

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/UniformedServices/Uniformed.aspx

Also a good Book, both accurate and inexpensive is "Authorized Shoulder Sleeve insignia of the U.S. Army" by Chris Aleck. Available from the Author box 283, Worth IL 0482-0283

you can also review one of our Topics here on the forum for many other good refrences

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11092-shoulder-sleeve-insignia-patch-references/

I would suggest you join the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors (ASMIC). The quarterly newsletter list a lot of reference books that are for sale and discounted to ASMIC members. In addition ASMIC also publishes a quarterly journal which can be of great help. There are books for all branches and time periods. Just go to the ASMIC website & you can get joining information. Many of us on this forum are ASMIC members & I highly recommend membership for the serious collector. I've been a member for about 35 years and frequently go to the back issues of the "Trading Post", to dig out patch informationm.

I agree 100%.If you are serious about collecting patches and DI's ASMIC is the way to go.I have been a member since 1980 and I have every Trading Post from then till know and some older ones. asmic.org is their website. good luck with your collecting.

Hello there and welcome to the world of patch collecting! Send me a PM with your address and i will send you an old issue of the "Trading Post" free. This will give you an idea what its all about. The new issues are all in color so that REALLY helps all the old coots out here!

Hello there and welcome to the world of patch collecting! Send me a PM with your address and i will send you an old issue of the "Trading Post" free. This will give you an idea what its all about. The new issues are all in color so that REALLY helps all the old coots out here!

That is a GREAT idea.I also have some older back issues I can also send you.

lamarhooten and firefighter,

Thanks very much for your offers to help! I'll take you up on it.

I attempted to join ASMIC last night on line, but their on line application function had cyber gremlins. I'll mail in an application if the system doesn't function today.

Ken

ASMIC or Amazon sell the book "U.S. Army Patches, Flashes and Ovals". It has info on most patches ie: symbolism, wear dates, and over 3000 color pictures