Nuremberg Palace of Justice Courtroom 600

hardheaded

Per posting rules:

United States and overseas locations involving U.S. military history welcome (so I hope these pictures are welcome).

Memorium Nuremberg Trials

Bärenschanzstraße 72

90429 Nuremberg Germany

Tel. +49 (0)911 321 - 79 372

http://www.memorium-...nformation.html

The Nuremberg Trials were held at the Nuremberg Palace of Justice in Courtroom 600 between 1945-1949 after World War II.

The Trial of the Major War Criminals was held there before the International Military Tribunal from November 20, 1945, to October 1, 1946.

Nuremberg had been the location of the Nazi party's Nuremberg rallies so there was symbolic value in making it the place of the Nazi demise. The Palace of Justice was chosen as the site of the trials because it included a large prison complex and the Americans opted for Nuremberg as it was situated within their zone of occupation.

GHOSTRIDER193

I very much liked the pictures!. Was there in 1970-71 and was able to have full access, walked those stairs sat it the defendants box etc., didn't have my camera with me that day? The Palace of Justice is very picturesque, as are most of their buildings. Nuremburg has so much history surrounding WWII. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Just returned from a trip to Europe with my father in October. This was one of the stops. A great museum up on the 3rd floor as well as the courtroom itself. I was not aware that they still held court in the actual courtroom. Our tour guide told us that we were lucky that court was not in session the day we went, and we were able to go in and look around. If court was in seesion we would not have been allowed to go in.

The upstairs museum is really incredible as well. There were some great displays. You could look out the windows and see the prison area where they kept the prisoners. This was all closed to us, but we could see the area from the 3rd floor. One area of particular interest was the trial of members of IG Farben industry. IG Farben made Zyklon B. The chemical used in the gas chambers in concentration camps..

Leigh

I very much liked the pictures!. Was there in 1970-71 and was able to have full access, walked those stairs sat it the defendants box etc., didn't have my camera with me that day? The Palace of Justice is very picturesque, as are most of their buildings. Nuremburg has so much history surrounding WWII. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Glad you liked the photos. It would have been nice to have digital cameras and the foresight to take pictures back then. Now all I have is a few old pictures and a few old memories of 70-71 :)

Great! getting to sit in the box!!! Wish I could've done that.

I see you haven't posted much and appreciate you taking the time to comment!

hardhead

Just returned from a trip to Europe with my father in October. This was one of the stops. A great museum up on the 3rd floor as well as the courtroom itself. I was not aware that they still held court in the actual courtroom. Our tour guide told us that we were lucky that court was not in session the day we went, and we were able to go in and look around. If court was in seesion we would not have been allowed to go in.

The upstairs museum is really incredible as well. There were some great displays. You could look out the windows and see the prison area where they kept the prisoners. This was all closed to us, but we could see the area from the 3rd floor. One area of particular interest was the trial of members of IG Farben industry. IG Farben made Zyklon B. The chemical used in the gas chambers in concentration camps..

Leigh

Hi Leigh!

Darn it, I always seem to miss something (the museum)! That's what happens when you're winging it and don't have a guide :) I did see the prison (from the outside) though.

My Wife and I spent a couple of days in Hohenschwangau, Germany (winging it again) checking out Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles and found out after I got home that I missed the Museum of the Bavarian Kings down by the lake. I sure would have liked to seen the beautiful kings robe of King Ludwig II that's housed there. I did have a schedule to keep though. Oh well, I hope to go through Neuschwanstein castle again and if do I won't miss the museum again!

Thanks for commenting on my post!

hardheaded

I live right down the road there in Fürth, I go by there all the time, but was only in there one time.

Been to Fürth a few times! Last time I was there I stayed at a place within walking distance to Our Place "You Kill It, We Grill IT" and went there to eat.

Had to have a little American food and a Tucher :) it was excellent! Germany is my favorite country to visit and will be my next vacation spot again!

hardheaded

Great Photo’s thanks for posting them. I was able visit there on R&R in September. It is always exciting to walk and see the famous places from history that you have read about. I, personally, was VERY disappointed in the museum. It was information rich, but actual artifact poor. There was some of the original furniture, a footlocker from a US Army officer and a very few other items, mostly graphics and new prints of photo’s. This has been a disturbing trend in modern museums, flashy layouts, graphics and the like, but fewer artifacts. I personally have more Nuremberg War Crimes Trials artifacts than were on exhibit in the “museum”. I posted some here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66073 . I think museums should tell the story with artifacts, not just facts. I can get the facts from books and the internet.

MSG BKW

Great Photo’s thanks for posting them. I was able visit there on R&R in September. It is always exciting to walk and see the famous places from history that you have read about. I, personally, was VERY disappointed in the museum. It was information rich, but actual artifact poor. There was some of the original furniture, a footlocker from a US Army officer and a very few other items, mostly graphics and new prints of photo’s. This has been a disturbing trend in modern museums, flashy layouts, graphics and the like, but fewer artifacts. I personally have more Nuremberg War Crimes Trials artifacts than were on exhibit in the “museum”. I posted some here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66073 . I think museums should tell the story with artifacts, not just facts. I can get the facts from books and the internet.

MSG BKW

Thank You for adding the link to those rare artifacts.

hardheaded

• 3 weeks later...
Backtheattack

Brian Keith, it`s a state "museums place", this means they have no money for artifacts. I`ve seen more of them in private collections than in this state museums place, too. Some of the official pictures came in 2012 with a special exhibition at different german courts, for instance I visited this little exhibition at the court at Hof, Bavaria. Only pictures without any stories or explanation of the pictures.

• 1 month later...

I need to get over there someday and check that out. Gramps was a guard at the trials lota interesting story's he told me about the inmates.