Anyone ID this patch?

Bill

I was not able to get any response on this one in the latest finds section so I'm going to try it here.

Front and then the back of the patch is in post # 2.

Thanks,

Bill

post-1455-0-32790400-1361301114.jpg

Looks like a civilian travel patch from Route 66 during the 60's.

I looked that up and the only images I can find have the number 66 on them.

Thanks,

Bill

Boy Scouts, perhaps? The design of the thunderbird is identical on this one ....

post-8076-0-92489000-1361308232.jpg

Could be.But not sure if the BSA would have just the thunderbird patch with out something around it like the the one you have.Did they have a 'Thunderbird' merit badge?

I think its boy scout and it was larger at one time.The T-Bird is cut off center and it most likely had a motto removed and turned into a smaller circle.Scotty

Johnny Signor

I posted a reply over on the other area you first posted in and for some reason it shows up on my PC when I log into the forum , I guess it didn't on yours ????????

Johnny

I posted it as a "Fashion" type , american indian in looks .........................

Boy Scouts have long had Patrol patches, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. In the 1950s the "issue" type were black embroidery on red felt or twill. In the 1970s-1980s they came in varied color schemes. They had predictable nicknames/mascots -- eagle, tiger, tomahawk, mustang, polar bear, etc., etc. BUT the Scouts could come up with their own name/design and either cobble together patches on their own or use a non-BSA item, as-is or modified. I was scoutamster circa 1985 and at the start of the season/year, we had three patrols, NONE of which wanted the usual names/patches and none could decide on an alternative. So they were simply Patrol 1, 2 and 3. But then at a Camporee (multi-troop camping), someone remarked "Heck, that second patrol is hell on wheels". Next (you saw it coming) they adopted the 2nd Armd Div SSI, with tab. Not to be out-done, Patrol 3 adopted the 104th Inf/Tng Div howling wolf, and Patrol 1 went with the 98th Div Iroquois (they wanted the XIX Corps Tomahawk but could not find any).

I suspect your patch WAS the center of a larger patch (such as Camporee), but trimmed down to serve as a patrol patch.