SR-71 related T-38 Talon plane diamond patch?

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,

I picked this up a short while back on eBay.It was being offered with an SR-71 3+ diamond patch that I believe belonged to the same pilot,as they were both identical in construction,age,etc..

Anyways,I did'nt get the SR-71 one,but I got this one,and I have never seen one like it before.Does anyone know what unit

or designation it represents?I'm guessing that it was for a chase plane,or maybe a plane that the pilot used just to get flight hours in.Thanks!

post-13386-0-45007400-1361288012.jpg

Patchcollector

I found this photo online,and here is the text that goes with it.

Northrop T-38 Talon 64247

This is a rare Red/Black T-38. It is a Companion trainer assigned to the 9th Reconnaissance Wing of Beale AFB, California- home of the USAF's U-2 spyplane operations and once also home to the SR-71 Blackbird. The colors of the T-38 reflect what is used on the U-2s- all black with markings in red. The U-2 pilots use the T-38 as companion trainers- to maintain proficiency, flight hours, currency, etc., without having to take a U-2 out of operation service for continuation training.

post-13386-0-29894100-1361289077.jpg

Patchcollector

I'm finding stuff online referring to this plane,apparently it was used as a trainer,also for the pilots to get flight hours in,and even for the Commanders use!

post-13386-0-83459300-1361289380.jpg

Patchcollector

I found this info and this pic at a great website,here's the link:

http://www.456fis.or...NSIDE_STORY.htm

At Beale, crews typically flew the SR-71 only about 3 or 4 times a month. The T-38 "Talon" was considered the low-cost alternative to maintaining our flying proficiency. Subsonic, it flew and handled similar to the SR-71. The T-38 is a twin-engine, high-altitude, supersonic jet trainer used throughout the USAF in a variety of roles because of its design, economy of operations, ease of maintenance, high performance and exceptional safety record.

Habus used T-38s to practice aerobatics, stalls, basic instrument flying, and formation practice between 11,000 and 23,000 feet. The T-38s were also used as a chase aircraft for the SR-71 whenever it got into trouble and needed to be looked over externally. Flying the T-38 in formation with the SR-71 was called "pace chase." Every time the SR-71 was flying at Beale, a T-38 had to be up flying or "cocked" on the ground, ready for immediate response with a qualified "pace chase" crew member

post-13386-0-23217500-1361289780.jpg

Patchcollector

Here's the Commanders plane

The 9th RW Wing Commander's T-38. Painted in the same U-2/SR-71 style!

post-13386-0-70894200-1361289894.jpg

Patchcollector

From all the info I'm finding now I'm guessing that this patch may be connected to the 9th Recon Wing,but it may also just be a generic patch for all the SR-71/U-2 units.

Seem to recall the patch was worn at Beale AFB. Not sure if by folks assigned to the 9 RW or if it was used as part of the ACE (Accelerated Copilot Enrichment) program. ACE jets (T-37 and T-38 depending on base) and IPs were used by SAC units to maintain flying proficiency at most SAC bases into the 90s. Beale, Whiteman and others still have some, but not sure if it's still called ACE anymore. I wouldn't think any self respecting SR-71 pilot would wear one with a T-38 on it, but who knows.

Randy

Patchcollector

Seem to recall the patch was worn at Beale AFB. Not sure if by folks assigned to the 9 RW or if it was used as part of the ACE (Accelerated Copilot Enrichment) program. ACE jets (T-37 and T-38 depending on base) and IPs were used by SAC units to maintain flying proficiency at most SAC bases into the 90s. Beale, Whiteman and others still have some, but not sure if it's still called ACE anymore. I wouldn't think any self respecting SR-71 pilot would wear one with a T-38 on it, but who knows.

Randy

Thanks for the info Randy :) The seller had the SR-71 Diamond and this one,both were constructed the same way,and looked to be from the same time frame.Since they had been removed from whatever they were affixed too,we'll never know.

The black with red scheme was used on at least one O-2 FAC and one OV-10 Bronco that I saw in RVN, 1970-71. Supposedly it was night camo, but they were parked together at the Quang Tri strip and had a dedicated guard (two SPs and a jeep with an M-60) -- which seemed suspicious.

They showed up off and on, apparently not part of the resident TASS.

• 3 years later...
Patchcollector

I wouldn't think any self respecting SR-71 pilot would wear one with a T-38 on it, but who knows.

Randy

I happened upon these eBay pics of the T-38 Diamond being worn by a SR-71 Pilot.

post-13386-0-83807300-1475076556_thumb.jpg

post-13386-0-42786900-1475076565_thumb.jpg

post-13386-0-41567500-1475076577_thumb.jpg

Killer jacket, bet that went high. I guess as a colonel you have to not take sides! Also interesting is the USAFE style German made nametag. Still wonder if in the 70s the T-38s were part of ACE of if the 9 SRW "owned" them?

Randy

The T-38 patch is for the Instructor Pilots of the 9th SRW 1966 to about 1974( ?) Ken was stationed in Germany 1957-1960 Prior to transferring to the A-12 Oxcart program, When that was terminated in 1968 he went to Beale AFB to fly the SR-71 as an IP and Test pilot.

Patchcollector

Thanks for the info guys.His jacket appears to be dated 1967,square in the middle of the Vietnam war.He signed his photo as "Combat Pilot".Would that refer to him flying over Nam,or elsewhere?

The T-38 patch is for the Instructor Pilots of the 9th SRW 1966 to about 1974( ?) Ken was stationed in Germany 1957-1960 Prior to transferring to the A-12 Oxcart program, When that was terminated in 1968 he went to Beale AFB to fly the SR-71 as an IP and Test pilot.

Hi Alan-

Didn't know you hung out here as well. Thanks for clearing that up about the T-38 patch, never could get a straight answer from anyone!

Randy

Thanks for the info guys.His jacket appears to be dated 1967,square in the middle of the Vietnam war.He signed his photo as "Combat Pilot".Would that refer to him flying over Nam,or elsewhere?

Ken flew the A-12 OXCART operation BLACKSHIELD over Vietnam / Laos / Cambodia / North Korea.

118 Combat missions also during the Korean war.

Yes Randy turn up like a bad penny LOL.

Attached photo of another SR-71 Pilot / IP 1966-1971 Lt Col Tony Bevacqua

post-78361-0-56860100-1475087760_thumb.jpg