Mills Cartridge Belt question

You'd be more likely to elicit some responses if you can upload a picture of the item.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 2 weeks later...

After doing a ton of research I am leaning more toward Irish Volunteers than Indiana Volunteers ... still not sure though. Would very much like to know the value before I decide whether or not to sell it. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

I suggested above that it stood for Irish Volunteers ( I have seen that ID somewhere I don't recall) and after thinking about it I have a theory to back that up. The state of New York had Mills belt buckles with NY stamped on them. Within the New York militia of that time they had what was called the "Irish Brigade". This was of Civil War origin but continued on at least into WW1 (the fighting 69th). I wonder if this belt was for the New York Irish regiment?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.