Eagles Nest Kehlsteinhaus Obersalzberg, Germany

hardheaded

Per posting rules:

United States and overseas locations involving U.S. military history welcome (so I hope these pictures are welcome).

From all the different soldiers claims of being there first, I guess we'll never know who captured the Eagles Nest first but the Kehlsteinhaus's museum states that it was captured by a member of the US 101st Airborne Division and includes a picture of the unit's shoulder sleeve insignia.

I'll I can say is that it is a great place to visit with a beautiful view and also have a meal!

Below are some pictures that I've taken from the couple of times that I've been there (my elevator ceiling light picture was taken before elevator pictures were prohibited). Hope you like em!

There is a picture gallery on the Eagles Nest website that shows the outside of the building with some DEEP snow.

http://www.kehlstein...de/en/index.php

The Eva Braun room with the steps going up to the main dining area and the door to the right goes out to the side patio.

On the Band of Brothers movie it shows them going up steps and out to the side patio.

I'm ready to come back over just for the Jaeger Schnitzel!

I visited the area in the 1980's when the General Walker Hotel was still standing and in business. It has been razed and made into a parking lot.

While the area was beautiful, the past was very much present.

I'm ready to come back over just for the Jaeger Schnitzel!

I visited the area in the 1980's when the General Walker Hotel was still standing and in business. It has been razed and made into a parking lot.

While the area was beautiful, the past was very much present.

That parking lot is in the middle of the Kehlsteinhaus bus ticket office, Dokumentation Center, gift shop, and a small restaurant.

Yes, "the past was very much present".

I arrived in Germany in early 1978 and was on the train from Frankfurt in my dress greens with my duffle bag crammed full going to my new duty station. While on the train a German fellow about 60-70 yrs old stood up out of his seat and yelled "baby killer! baby killer!" and a bunch of other stuff I didn't understand. I thought, wow! I wonder what the next couple of years is going to be like :) Looking back, I had a lot of good times!

I was there in 1980 to 1983.

I can't say that I really had any really bad experience. I did get pummelled with snowballs by a bunch of teenagers after spending 12 hours overnight riding in an open jeep. And later I had generator torched. But overall it wasn't that bad.

Now I did work with a Major who had to go to Frankfurt on business one day in his dress greens. He was walking up to the street level from the subway when he came across a German policeman who was watching the street. My friend looked up the street to his left and saw a large crown of protesters waiving red banners coming up the street. He looked the other direction and saw a formation of fully geared up riot police coming the other direction. The policeman turned to him and said flatly "Perhaps you would like to get off at the next stop." He thanked the officer and took his advice.

Great posting and photos.....especially the last one.

Thanks.

trenchbuff, You have a very nice website! I'll be stopping in there every now and then to see what you have.

hardheaded