USMC P1912 Dress Uniform (1922-1923) Pfc C.J. Rhea

camelgreen44

camelgreen44

Thanks Dirk, I'll post the Insignia that I recently got tnite. Theres also a framed piece with his Crox de Guerre cert and more insignia hopefull to get it all within a week or two.

combat-helmets

Very nice tunic. Point down on overseas stripes is correct. The HD stripe was point up if present. It is quite possible this Marine wore both the discs originally and then later the ega's on this tunic. I believe if my memory serves, the ega came out in 1922. You have the nice Private first class crossed rifles as well-these were short lived I believe in about the 1920-21 era. Anyone with Tulkoffs wonderful reference Equipping the Corps can find a great 1920's photo of a QM Sergeant wearing his dress blues with Indianhead patch and CDG on page 314. The photo illustrates the 1920's changes with ega and smaller chevrons worn with the WWI patch. Once again congratulations on a nice and rare uniform! Mine also has the o/s chevrons but the Marine selected the green backed bullion ones for the service dress. Yours look a bit more professional with the blue backing. Thanks for sharing! Kevin

Wow ! There is alot going on with this tunic ! What a superb pickup!

Congratulations in your acquisition!

combat-helmets

Very nice tunic. Point down on overseas stripes is correct. The HD stripe was point up if present. It is quite possible this Marine wore both the discs originally and then later the ega's on this tunic. I believe if my memory serves, the ega came out in 1922. You have the nice Private first class crossed rifles as well-these were short lived I believe in about the 1920-21 era. Anyone with Tulkoffs wonderful reference Equipping the Corps can find a great 1920's photo of a QM Sergeant wearing his dress blues with Indianhead patch and CDG on page 314. The photo illustrates the 1920's changes with ega and smaller chevrons worn with the WWI patch. Once again congratulations on a nice and rare uniform! Mine also has the o/s chevrons but the Marine selected the green backed bullion ones for the service dress. Yours look a bit more professional with the blue backing. Thanks for sharing! Kevin

Wow ! There is alot going on with this tunic ! What a superb pickup!

Congratulations in your acquisition!

BigJohn#3RD

Great Uniform Group it is always nice to get it direct from the family. I'm attaching a picture of of two 9th Regiment Uniforms; the one to the far left is to the Machine Gun Company 9th Regiment unnamed but looking it over inside and out is a legit jacket, (FYI the second from left is for a soldier who served in Co C, 9th Regiment) the point is that the patch was picked up either during occupation duty or shortly after returning to the states for discharge in July August time window of 1919 and confirms that your veteran probably purchased his patch at the same time.

Regards,

John

post-5224-0-61301500-1364877077.jpg

camelgreen44

Thanks for the picture and info Big John.I really dont know where these patches were purchased. My guy stayed in France after Nov.11th until he shipped home,so he was'nt specifically attached to the 5th Regt.,but they all do have the machine embroidered star and indian head. I also have my guys diary which is a typed manuscript of 230 pages.Its almost a day by day account.

camelgreen44

I'll see if I can pinpoint something stirring.Theres a lot of marchin,duckin,and huntin for chow.

Schnicklfritz

I have a couple of USMC tunics with this embrodiered indianhead/star patch style on them along with seeing other Army patches that have this style of embrodiered indianhead/star. There are so many variations to the 2nd Division patch that it can drive you mad!