KIA BSM/PH Group: USMC Platoon Commander Iwo Jima 19 Feb 45

Kadet

Thanks, this is one of my favorite medal groups. Gordon was, in the parlance of the 1940s, a "Hebrew" (notice the star of david on his grave marker). He no doubt encountered discrimination during his service. That he rose from the enlisted ranks to become a highly decorated officer speaks to his ability IMO...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
vintageproductions

It's always interesting when you buy a group at a show and start to do a little research and you find more of the the person's group here on USMF.

I was doing our local monthly show today and had a friend bring in the rest of Gordon''s grouping including this PH, and all the original paperwork, citations, and photos.

ph.jpg

Will take better photos of the group later.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hello everyone, and especially @Kadet

I just stumbled upon this military forum and I read with great interest the information that Kadet supplied regarding the effects which belonged to Stanley Gordon. You see, just recently, my father passed and I have been spending a lot of time going through various boxes of family memorabilia. One of those boxes belonged to my grandfather, who was a Marine both before and during World War 2. Among the artifacts I discovered were letters, pictures and newspaper clippings related to Stanley.  As it turns out, my grandparents were very good friends with Stanley Gordon, and from I can gather, Stanley's fiancé at the time, Lucille Gropper. My grandfather's name was Charles Thomas White, and my grandmother was Cecelia Lucas White.  He served performing recruiting duties around the country, such as Houston and Savannah. Along with my mother (Carolyn), they were also stationed out in Ogden, Utah at the supply depot.

I have attached several artifacts that should prove of interest. What I have found to be most compelling is the correspondence from my grandparents to both Stanley's mother, and to Lucille herself. The letters are real and provide true feelings of love, loss and heartbreak.  Please understand that I show these to not soil the private memories of those that have passed, but to instead honor and remember these wonderful people for who they were and the character that they possessed.  These artifacts truly brought a tear to my eye as I discovered their significance and that we as Americans should never forget the ultimate sacrifices that have been made on our behalf so that we as citizens may live free and prosper in this world.

Thank you all for allowing me to present this information in its truest form.

Stanley Gordon Portrait.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 1.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 2.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 3.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 4.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 5.jpg

Envelope for Invitation.jpg

Stanley Gordon invite to Charles T White.jpg

Congrats Letter from Charles to Stanely Bordon on Bronze Star.jpg

Lucille Gropper Envelope.jpg

Lucille Letter to Cecelia about Stanley's death 1.jpg

Lucille Letter to Cecelia about Stanley's death 2.jpg

Cecelia White Condolence Draft to Fiance Lucille Gropper.jpg

Charles T White Condolence Draft to Stanley Gordon Mother.jpg

Draft of letter regarding death of Stanley Gordon.jpg

Staney Gordon Headstone.jpg

Stanley Gordon Obituary.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 10:55 AM, MikeVH said:

Hello everyone, and especially @Kadet

I just stumbled upon this military forum and I read with great interest the information that Kadet supplied regarding the effects which belonged to Stanley Gordon. You see, just recently, my father passed and I have been spending a lot of time going through various boxes of family memorabilia. One of those boxes belonged to my grandfather, who was a Marine both before and during World War 2. Among the artifacts I discovered were letters, pictures and newspaper clippings related to Stanley.  As it turns out, my grandparents were very good friends with Stanley Gordon, and from I can gather, Stanley's fiancé at the time, Lucille Gropper. My grandfather's name was Charles Thomas White, and my grandmother was Cecelia Lucas White.  He served performing recruiting duties around the country, such as Houston and Savannah. Along with my mother (Carolyn), they were also stationed out in Ogden, Utah at the supply depot.

I have attached several artifacts that should prove of interest. What I have found to be most compelling is the correspondence from my grandparents to both Stanley's mother, and to Lucille herself. The letters are real and provide true feelings of love, loss and heartbreak.  Please understand that I show these to not soil the private memories of those that have passed, but to instead honor and remember these wonderful people for who they were and the character that they possessed.  These artifacts truly brought a tear to my eye as I discovered their significance and that we as Americans should never forget the ultimate sacrifices that have been made on our behalf so that we as citizens may live free and prosper in this world.

Thank you all for allowing me to present this information in its truest form.

Stanley Gordon Portrait.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 1.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 2.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 3.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 4.jpg

Stanley Gordon clipping 5.jpg

Envelope for Invitation.jpg

Stanley Gordon invite to Charles T White.jpg

Congrats Letter from Charles to Stanely Bordon on Bronze Star.jpg

Lucille Gropper Envelope.jpg

Lucille Letter to Cecelia about Stanley's death 1.jpg

Lucille Letter to Cecelia about Stanley's death 2.jpg