KIA BSM/PH Group: USMC Platoon Commander Iwo Jima 19 Feb 45

Kadet

In memory of the date, I wanted to post the following group. 1st Lt Stanley Gordon hailed from Miami FL. He was a "mustang", having served in the Corps prior to WWII as an enlisted man. He served as a Platoon Commander and Company XO in B Co, 23rd Marines, 4th Marine Division. Gordon was wounded on Saipan while leading an assault on a Japanese position. He was also awarded the Bronze Star for this action. He went ashore during the initial assault on Iwo, and was KIA by a GSW in the head on 19 Feb, again while leading his men in an assault. Also pictured are the officers and NCOs of his company. Most of these men were killed or wounded before the war was over. I have a complete copy of his service record. It includes letters from his chain of command to NOK following his death. He was a highly respected, and no doubt very brave officer. His record also contains several essays and application documents that Gordon used to get in to OCS. He was an extremely articulate young man. His loss was no doubt a heavy blow to his unit.

The medals are all typical US Mint contract pieces. The first PH is privately engraved, the second w/ the gold star is officially engraved, w/ privately engraved date. The BSM is unengraved. There are two GCMs. I believe one to be his original that was probably in his personal effects. The other is the one sent to his NOK w/ the PH and BSM. The three pieces of insignia were kept w/ the medals and ribbons. The LT bar may have been on his collar when he was killed, as it is heavily worn.

Semper Fi Stanley

post-110-0-79661300-1361197042.jpg

post-110-0-97792700-1361197047.jpg

Outstanding reminder of the horrors exacted 68 years ago tomorrow. I have walked that sector of beach (Yellow 1) where 1/23 landed. It's quite sobering to realize what took place. Thank you for sharing this one. God bless Stanley on this approaching anniversary.

Semper Fi

Wonderful grouping to an Iwo Jima hero. Especially poignant to me as I served in 1/23 in the USMCR. R.I.P. Lt Gordon.......Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Patchcollector

Great group,reading that citation reminds me that freedom is not free.What a hero.War is hell.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
American Heritage

HERO.

That date 19 Feb 45 appears on so many Purple Heart citations. Eerie to see it on a headstone here. Reminder of the cost of freedom. So much has happened since that day and so much time has passed but Iwo is forever etched into the lineage of the Corps and always will be remembered as long as America continues to make Marines.

Great medals you have the privilege of preserving!

Semper Fi