APH-5 in USAF Use?

graffspee

Here is a APH-5 flight helmet I have that is marked up for USAF use. I have never seen a reference that I can remember of Air force pilots using APH-5 helmets. However , I have seen a APH-5 for sale out of the Netherlands that was "supposedly" used by a pilot with the 32nd. Fighter Interceptor Squadron that at one time I know was stationed there. I was told that this helmet also came out of the Netherlands too.

100_2507_zps408d2bb8.jpg

100_2508_zps62037b4d.jpg

I also thought it was a HGU-2/p but it is not..... The earcups have screws that hold them in and are APH-5 style earcups. Also the leather oxygen mask connector only has 2 snaps where the HGU-2/p had 3. I have a APH-5 in my collection and it is identical to it ......

This helmet is certainly a late APH-5 version. The black edgeroll is from the 60s type but the leather tabs on which was fixed the O2 mask were not more used at this period with USN combat aircrats. White is the normal color on APH-5 from this era. We can see the original way of the comcord through the cutted styrofoam and the shell at the rear of the helmet. Is there any hole at the left or right face where an external mic could have been attached?

The interesting question is about the USAF logo. Truly there's not common on this model. Though USAF helmets were used by some Navy aviators, I've never seen APH-5 used by USAF crews. But who knows?

Franck

It was never setup for an external Mic so there are no holes were one would be setup.... I know that when it comes to this sort of thing anything is possible. I do know that the Air Force did at one time test the APH-5 and it is also possible that a pilot or some pilots could have obtained one or more and decided to use it . As I had stated in my original post I have seen a APH-5 that is nearly identical but was marked and supposedly used by a pilot of the 32nd. FIS out of the Netherlands (the same place this helmet supposedly came from). I just found it interesting and thought I would share the helmet and see if anyone may have had some info on the subject.... Either way it is a nice helmet and is in great shape....

northcoastaero

A navy boom microphone mount could also have been attached to the right or left sides by using the

existing earcup and chin strap screws. The USAF type boom microphone mount would probably have two

additional holes drilled through the helmet shell. The shell also does not appear to be modified

for use with a USAF communications cable, CX-4708/AIC or CX-4708A/AIC.

You're right saying that USAF did test the APH-5. It was in the 50s when they want to replace the old design of the "P" series helmet. I don't believe your helmet is from this time. It seems to be from the late version. It's a beautiful helmet and it would be nice to know his history.

Franck