Spy vs Spy

Vietnam SOG Knives

Hey

Thats a nice SOG :w00t: , congratulations to a great find AK101 ;) .

About the sheath care, I think there are some instructions of sheath care in the start of this thread. Otherwise I know we have some very knowledgeable people on this forum that can help you with that question.

Im posting a photo of one of my Brass Guard Presentation SOG, a USER. Sorry for bad focus, the camera just didn´t want to cooperate with me :ermm: .

Regards// Martin

post-2634-1264891809.jpg

- Vietnam CISO/SOG Knife Collector -

donation2009.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I see posts refering to 6" knives being "TYPE II" etc...

How many types of blades are there for the 6" and what are the differences? Does it only refer to the finish? Blue/Plum?Chrome?

THANKS!!

donation2012.gif

Hey AK101.

That is another great find you have done, congrats to you mate. :thumbsup: :w00t: ;)

Is it a Presentation one or numbered?

Looks like blue blade?

Yes there are 3 different type of the 6" Blade that can be found on the SOG knife. These types can be seen in the book by Tom Clinton. I will try find the book and take a photo of the three types that are drawn in the book.

Blue, Plum and Chrome only refer to the blade´s finish.

Again AK101, GREAT SOG :thumbsup: and thanks for posting it.

Regards,, Martin

donation2009.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Is it a Presentation one or numbered?

Looks like blue blade?

Martin,

Thanks for the kind words, I look forward to the info on blade types.

The blue bladed knife has no markings at all that I can find....

My plum is an unnamed 5th Group presentation model

donation2012.gif

AK101

I found the book that we talked about. Its by Tom Clinton and titel is: KNIVES OF THE U.S. SPECIAL FORCES.

There are 3 Type of Blades used on the 6" SOG.

4 different Type of Sheath were used.

Regards,, Martin

post-2634-1268685346.jpg

I am new to the forum and site and I am so happy to find it so I can share and learn with you experts. I am posting pictures today of 2 knives 1 SOG and 1 Nguyen Dan carried by the late Captain Robert M Jewell. I knew Capt Jewell for less than 45 minutes as I had the sad duty of transporting him to the hospital where he later died. I did befriend his wife and was able to help her and get many of his items through purchase and gift. Capt. Jewell was 2nd Ranger Battalion WWII and survived the D Day landing. He was an original member of the 10th and 77th SFG. He did 2 tours in Vietnam from 1964 to 1967. From what I understand his expertise was as an interrogater and the use of the lie detector. After his retirement he worked with the Sherriffs Dept as a lie detector operator. I did not get any of his uniforms but did get a pair of black pajamas. In the pictures I have of him I can only find a picture with a jet pilots knife and a Mark II. The Mark II was on a list of his possessions and it and his uniforms went to a friend in Minnesota.

I wish I had known him before his last day as I would have loved to hear his stories.

Enjoy these pictures as we honor him and others who did make sacrifices for our freedom.

Any questions I will do my best to answer.

Tim

post-12381-1276267429.jpg

post-12381-1276267461.jpg

post-12381-1276267550.jpg

Any comments?

post-5424-1277386928.jpg

"Mistakes in combat are unpardonable sins, punishable by death." By Joe Walker, RT California

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

There is also SF crest but i dont have any picture from it yet

post-5424-1277387083.jpg

"Mistakes in combat are unpardonable sins, punishable by death." By Joe Walker, RT California

post-5424-1277485858.jpg

post-5424-1277485882.jpg

Hey Mikko.

Nice to se that you got your first SOG knife. A Presentation piece :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,, Martin

Any comments?

post-5424-1277386928.jpg

A REAL SOG Bowie Knife! Not one of the standard issue and gift knives...This one is quite large and in keeping with its heroic proportions it has the biggest stone I've seen on a knife! Damned thing's big as a brick...I'll take photos next to the usual SOG knife later. Ed

Link to thread

post-3653-1281785984.jpg

Ed Hicks

WARPATH Military Collectibles

819 Hope Mills Road

Fayetteville, North Carolina

(910) 425-7000

Always buying U.S. Airborne & Vietnam Special Forces artifacts and groupings, Painted and Rare U.S. Helmets; U.S. Valor Medal Groupings, Fine Swords...

Buying or trading for my collection: 1950s-1970s Vietnam era Rolex & Tudor Watches...

Contact me before you sell... [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

My Web Sites: http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org

http://www.warpathmilitaria.com 

Posted Image

A REAL SOG Bowie Knife! Not one of the standard issue and gift knives...This one is quite large and in keeping with its heroic proportions it has the biggest stone I've seen on a knife! Damned thing's big as a brick...I'll take photos next to the usual SOG knife later. Ed

Link to thread

post-3653-1281786130.jpg

Ed Hicks

819 Hope Mills Road

(910) 425-7000

Always buying U.S. Airborne & Vietnam Special Forces artifacts and groupings, Painted and Rare U.S. Helmets; U.S. Valor Medal Groupings, Fine Swords...

Buying or trading for my collection: 1950s-1970s Vietnam era Rolex & Tudor Watches...

Contact me before you sell... [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

Posted Image

post-3653-1281786251.jpg

Ed Hicks

819 Hope Mills Road

(910) 425-7000

Posted Image

Hi Warpath.

Thanks for posting that BIG Bowie.

Do you have any more info about it? Were and Who made it?

Hand guard looks like something from a original SOG (CISO made) but the rest, well I don´t know.

Would be interesting to hear about.

Best regards// Martin

Hi all,

I recently repurchased my 7" SOG Recon knife - I can't believe I ever let it go ! Well, it was for a good cause, but I sure am happy to have it back home. Having it back has me wondering if anyone has any Vietnam period photos showing them being worn / used by Special Forces ? If so would anyone be kind enough to post a few for me ? Thanks and kind regards,

Bill

I keep reading on the "net"....yea I know.... that the SOG the company replica knives were/are made at the same factory as the originals.

Any truth to that?

donation2012.gif

I keep reading on the "net"....yea I know.... that the SOG the company replica knives were/are made at the same factory as the originals.

Any truth to that?

Somebody might correct me but I think the originals came out of Japan.

The SOG Corp. replica the S1(?), which is no longer produced, was made

here in the states if I'm not mistaken. There are a few of the S1 replicas

on eBay that I've been watching.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Somebody might correct me but I think the originals came out of Japan.

The SOG Corp. replica the S1(?), which is no longer produced, was made

here in the states if I'm not mistaken. There are a few of the S1 replicas

on eBay that I've been watching.

AFAIK the original commercial SOG brand knives came out of Seki Japan in the 80's, I am unsure if the war era supplier is the same, or if that same supplier sub contracted any of the work to fulfill the contract.

FWIW in the 1991 article regarding Ben Baker and the knives he states that as far as he knew there was only one "supplier"

Hopefully the CISO knife experts on the board will correct and expand upon this subject

donation2012.gif

Ben baker company (ciso) made originals

Ben baker company (ciso) made originals

Yes.....well, according to the article he collaborated on in 1990/91 they designed them and then provided drawings to contractors, Japan Sword was rejected, and at least 1300 were made by Yogi Shoki.

So is/was Yogi Shoki later associated with SOG brand S1? Or maybe Japan Sword or one of the other alluded to contractors that received drawings in the early stages of the project.

http://sogknives.com/documents/SOG-FightingKnives.pdf

donation2012.gif

Just a photo that someone posted on this forum before. Hope you don´t mind me borrow the photo and posting it here.

Nice SOG knife and a good photo ;)

Regards// M

post-2634-1305560570.jpg