Vietnam SOG Knives

Spy vs Spy

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

I need an advice. I found this one on a French auction site, and I want to have your opinion. Is it a good one or a false?

The seller want 1600€ for it, is it a correct price?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Marc

SOG Natura (1).jpg

SOG Natura (2).jpg

SOG Natura (3).jpg

SOG Natura (4).jpg

SOG Natura (5).jpg

SOG Natura (6).jpg

9 hours ago, Opinel said:

Hello everybody,

I need an advice. I found this one on a French auction site, and I want to have your opinion. Is it a good one or a false?

The seller want 1600€ for it, is it a correct price?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Marc

SOG Natura (1).jpg

SOG Natura (2).jpg

SOG Natura (3).jpg

SOG Natura (4).jpg

SOG Natura (5).jpg

SOG Natura (6).jpg

Marc I don't consider myself an expert in the original Ben Baker SOG knives as I've only handled a very few of them personally and as yet haven't run across one available that I would add to my collection.  So you should wait for others here to chime in.

From what I do see I wouldn't rush to obtain this knife before hearing from the experts.  This knife doesn't seem to me to resemble closely enough the originals, and the quality of manufacture isn't up to what SOG Specialty Knives has been producing for the last several decades.  Certainly the Special Forces logo and the inscription wouldn't have occurred on a genuine knife while still in country.

Marc,

If you go back through the pages of this forum you will see what correct CISO SOG knives look like.   The knife you have pictured looks wrong in several areas.  The guard looks off compared to the guards of the other correct knives.  There are variations to the guards of correct knives but yours looks different in the overall shape.  Second, the Special Forces (SF) Crest is upside down, compared to all the other Presentation knives.  The SF Crest should be positioned so that it is upright when the blade tip is pointed down.  The sheath can give a lot of evidence to being correct from the snaps.  If you have access to the knife, look at the inside of the snaps.  There are markings that identify them correctly.  Without seeing them on you example, I can't say for sure but suspect it is also fake.  Overall, I would not purchase it as an original.  Just me.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Spy vs Spy

Marco (Opinel)

Congrats to your find.

You got yourself an original Vietnam era 5th Group Mess Association knife with Aluminum fittings (Pommel & Crossguard). Knife has the correct sheath as well and matches the wear of the knife.

Best

Martin