Vietnam SOG Knives

Spy vs Spy

Hi Warpath.

Thanks for posting that BIG Bowie.

Do you have any more info about it? Were and Who made it?

Hand guard looks like something from a original SOG (CISO made) but the rest, well I don´t know.

Would be interesting to hear about.

Best regards// Martin

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I recently repurchased my 7" SOG Recon knife - I can't believe I ever let it go ! Well, it was for a good cause, but I sure am happy to have it back home. Having it back has me wondering if anyone has any Vietnam period photos showing them being worn / used by Special Forces ? If so would anyone be kind enough to post a few for me ? Thanks and kind regards,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
I keep reading on the "net"....yea I know.... that the SOG the company replica knives were/are made at the same factory as the originals.

Any truth to that?

Somebody might correct me but I think the originals came out of Japan.

The SOG Corp. replica the S1(?), which is no longer produced, was made

here in the states if I'm not mistaken. There are a few of the S1 replicas

on eBay that I've been watching.

Somebody might correct me but I think the originals came out of Japan.

The SOG Corp. replica the S1(?), which is no longer produced, was made

here in the states if I'm not mistaken. There are a few of the S1 replicas

on eBay that I've been watching.

AFAIK the original commercial SOG brand knives came out of Seki Japan in the 80's, I am unsure if the war era supplier is the same, or if that same supplier sub contracted any of the work to fulfill the contract.

FWIW in the 1991 article regarding Ben Baker and the knives he states that as far as he knew there was only one "supplier"

Hopefully the CISO knife experts on the board will correct and expand upon this subject

Ben baker company (ciso) made originals

Yes.....well, according to the article he collaborated on in 1990/91 they designed them and then provided drawings to contractors, Japan Sword was rejected, and at least 1300 were made by Yogi Shoki.

So is/was Yogi Shoki later associated with SOG brand S1? Or maybe Japan Sword or one of the other alluded to contractors that received drawings in the early stages of the project.

http://sogknives.com/documents/SOG-FightingKnives.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Spy vs Spy

Just a photo that someone posted on this forum before. Hope you don´t mind me borrow the photo and posting it here.

Nice SOG knife and a good photo ;)

Regards// M

post-2634-1305560570.jpg

Spy vs Spy

Back and started un-pack some of my boxes. Its an old photo but the SOGs are still here. This is a part of my Vietnam SOG knives collection. I will post a better photo with all of them in same shot when I have all boxes un-packed and all SOGs "rounded up" (and the time to take good photo).

Regards// M

post-2634-1305844784.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

Great photo! I love photo documentation. Here's one I just picked up. No i.d. sorry to say so not a keeper.

post-93-1305849863.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Back and started un-pack some of my boxes. Its an old photo but the SOGs are still here. This is a part of my Vietnam SOG knives collection. I will post a better photo with all of them in same shot when I have all boxes un-packed and all SOGs "rounded up" (and the time to take good photo).

Regards// M

"Spy vs Spy",

You have some rare ones at that. Any of them aluminum? I just read a five page article on how Ben "Conrad" Baker developed these knives from a "Fighting Knives article dated I believe in 1989?

If you need some help with ID'ing any of them, I can give you some help because the article was full of detail.

Mark

"MACVSOG "Living Historian"

• 2 weeks later...
"Spy vs Spy",

You have some rare ones at that. Any of them aluminum? I just read a five page article on how Ben "Conrad" Baker developed these knives from a "Fighting Knives article dated I believe in 1989?

If you need some help with ID'ing any of them, I can give you some help because the article was full of detail.

Mark

"MACVSOG "Living Historian"

Hey Mark.

Yes I have that article as well. Thanks ;) . It sure is a great read. I have some letters and christmas cards from Mr Baker also. I have 15+ Original Vietnam War SOG Knives in my collection. Some Brass Guards, Alu Guards, Iron Guards and 3 of the rare 5000 series SOG. Some of my SOGs are named to SOG Recon Team Members. Would like to say that the passion of my collection is the SOG Knife and the History of the gentlemen that used them.

Im working on a small article about the 5000 series SOG at the moment. BUT its not easy to get the time between the Oil Rigs and my 7 month old litte boy :lol:

-You have any SOGs Mark?

Regards// Martin

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone following this thread, or if this is even the right place for my question.. looks like I'm going to have to put my 5th Group Presentation knife up for sale, looked at ebay but don't care for their convoluted pricing structure, any other sites out there good for selling these type items?

• 3 months later...

Went to a friend last week and he didn´t let me in the door if I didn´t bring some SOGs. Should say that he is also a Vietnam war collector.

One good thing that came with me un-packing the knives was that I found out that 3 SOGs are still MIA. The bad thing about it is, that I really don´t know were to start looking? Mothers house, sisters house, friends house 1, friends house 2, friends house 3 ? That is what you get when you store stuff with friends ;)

2 of the above named ones has moved during the time my boxes has been in their care :pinch:

In this SOG pile there are 6 named ones, fully documented.

Well enjoy the photo.

Regards// Martin

post-2634-1331812402.jpg

• 1 year later...
tarbridge

Martin. Here is the about the last knife in my collection. I got my first in 1968 when I was 10.My next door neighbor was SF Sgt. and would bring me a duffle bag of goodies back from Vietnam. When we played we used real "Yard" crossbows and bolts, gear of all types and SOG knives. My Family owned a Mobile Home Park that about was 75% Military with the most being Special Forces. So many of those guys would give me patches, boonies, uniforms and everything under the Sun. I started collecting SF items in 1978 and 1980 I opened a Gun Shop. I would trade guns for SOG knives and the word got around, I bought as many as 6 in a day ; I bought 5 from a CISO guy and two of those were in the issue box-brand new. I had I think about every variation of Bowie and Recon. The collection-I sold around 1993.

P1010002.JPG

This is the photo album closing down the camp at Ban Me Thuot

P1010003.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

tarbridge

I remember loving that fold out case of embroidered berets you would display! Great stuff!

P1010006.JPG

Andrew.Here is a picture of one of those cases...and I had more.

P1010014.JPG

This also had RT patches...

. Would like to say that the passion of my collection is the SOG Knife and the History of the gentlemen that used them.

Im working on a small article about the 5000 series SOG at the moment. BUT its not easy to get the time between the Oil Rigs and my 7 month old litte boy :lol:

-You have any SOGs Mark?

Regards// Martin

Martin, what's the story on the 5000 series SOG knives for the benefit of those who may not know and for those of us who may have forgotten? Ed

post-3653-0-72651200-1367618590.jpg

Spy vs Spy

Ed, nothing mutch has happened on that front. Keep buying SOG knives, that's about it. Doesn't get more time between the Rigs and my son. Jason got some info about the 5000series on his page. I only got as far as pin-pointing when and were they where issued.

I got 4 named 5000series in my collection, but have documented alot more of them that has been sold in and outside US.

I se that your 5000series is chromed and with writing on the blade? What does it sat Ed? Is it a "Monkey Mountain" SOG?

Thanks Ed and Robert for posting your SOGs, from a man that got a big weak spot for these knives ;)

*Edit* Forgot to say that you got a rare sheath to your 5000series there Ed :)

Best regards

Martin

Spy vs Spy

Ed,

Hardy had a 5000series for sale a couple of years ago that was named to RT Moccasin member, that was mentioned in Plaster's book. Same guy maybe? (I got that name writen down in my logg)

Again, a great knife you got there Ed. Im still looking for a chromed one for my collection ;)

Regards

Martin

• 1 month later...

Ed.

Im just unable to get your Chromed SOG out off my mind :)

And after comparing your Chromed 5000series and looking at the SOG knife in M. Silvey´s book: Knives of the United States Military in Vietnam, page 28.

-I belive that the knife in Silvey´s is a 5000series.

Best regards

Martin

• 1 month later...