Vietnam SOG Knives

Spy vs Spy

Great looking knives, gentlemen! Here's my SOG Bowie. It has a dark blued 6" blade and no markings anywhere.

I am trying to decide what to do with it since this is the only collectible military knife I own. I've kept it in a shoebox for the past 20 years! :blink:

SOG_Bowie2.jpg

Great looking knives, gentlemen! Here's my SOG Bowie. It has a dark blued 6" blade and no markings anywhere.

I am trying to decide what to do with it since this is the only collectible military knife I own. I've kept it in a shoebox for the past 20 years! :blink:

SOG_Bowie2.jpg

Hey wahoowad.

That is a nice Fat Guard SOG you have there. :thumbsup:

My opinion on what too do with it, is too take it out of the shoebox and display it. Let it get some air. ;) Its a great knife and deserve some "loving" :lol:

-If you ever decide too part with it plaese let me know.

Thanks for showing your SOG for us.

Best regards,, Martin

Billythekid,

I love that Recon knife!

What color do you think the spacers on each end of the leather washers were? They look like they were white originally but have turned a yellow or reddish color.

Billythekid,

I love that Recon knife!

What color do you think the spacers on each end of the leather washers were? They look like they were white originally but have turned a yellow or reddish color.

Thanks - I believe the spacers / washers were originally white, but have turned a uniform yellow over the years.

Best regards

Bill

Thanks - I believe the spacers / washers were originally white, but have turned a uniform yellow over the years.

Best regards

Bill

Hey Billy.

I think they were originally cream colored. All the SOG Recon´s that I have seen all have same cream color, just like the 6" SOG Iron Guard Presentation ones usally have.

Just my opinion. ;)

Regards,, M

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Collectors,

Newbie here with an inquiry.

At a pawn shop in Costa Mesa, Calif., back in 1973, I picked up a used SOG 5th Special Forces (ABN) Vietnam fighting knife, all original in very good condition, no nicks, with the sheath and stone (no box). Its plum color is about half visible and the engraving and Special Forces shield are clear. Because I am no collector of militaria, I might be interested in selling this knife to a collector, but I cannot estimate its value.

Even without pictures (my camera is a poor one), I hope that someone here will have a ballpark figure. My knife is in much better shape than warpath's example here in this discussion. I will do my best to post photos if anyone has an interest.

Thanks.

Don

Hello Collectors,

At a pawn shop in Costa Mesa, Calif., back in 1973, I picked up a used SOG 5th Special Forces (ABN) Vietnam fighting knife, all original in very good condition, no nicks, with the sheath and stone (no box). Its plum color is about half visible and the engraving and Special Forces shield are clear. Because I am no collector of militaria, I might be interested in selling this knife to a collector, but I cannot estimate its value.

Even without pictures (my camera is a poor one), I hope that someone here will have a ballpark figure. My knife is in much better shape than warpath's example here in this discussion. I will do my best to post photos if anyone has an interest.

Thanks.

Don

sir

i am interested in your sog knife if you can post some pics of it. looking forward to hearing from you and seeing the knife. thanks

Hey Bellevance.

Send me an PM or email and we can talk. Im interested in your SOG.

Best regards,, Martin

Hello Collectors,

Thanks.

Don

Thanks, Martin and Swamper. For some reason, I am unable to post personal messages.

Until I can upload some worthy images of the knife, let me say that it's in very good condition. Recently (on Sept. 14), a similar knife sold on eBay. I will paste in a link to that item, below. The pictures the seller posted on eBay depict a knife similar to mine. The grip and brasswork on mine are in better condition, and mine still has the thong and the ivory-colored spacers. The plum color on mine is half gone, and the sheath is somewhat more scuffed than the one in the photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIETNAM-PLUM-PRESENTAT...id=p3286.c0.m14

Bellevance said:
Thanks, Martin and Swamper. For some reason, I am unable to post personal messages.

Until I can upload some worthy images of the knife, let me say that it's in very good condition. Recently (on Sept. 14), a similar knife sold on eBay. I will paste in a link to that item, below. The pictures the seller posted on eBay depict a knife similar to mine. The grip and brasswork on mine are in better condition, and mine still has the thong and the ivory-colored spacers. The plum color on mine is half gone, and the sheath is somewhat more scuffed than the one in the photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIETNAM-PLUM-PRESENTAT...id=p3286.c0.m14

sir

any idea on your asking price for your knife?. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know anything about a repro SOG bowie that was made by Utica Cutlery for the Special Operations Association? Have chance to pick up one for a good price, but haven't seen it . Opinions?

Rick

Anyone know anything about a repro SOG bowie that was made by Utica Cutlery for the Special Operations Association? Have chance to pick up one for a good price, but haven't seen it . Opinions?

Rick

sir

if it is the repro sog i am thinking of you can find them for $30 to $40 on ebay brand new. i have 2 still in the package.

• 1 month later...

SOGblade.jpg

I never thought I would find one of these I could actually afford..... :blink:

I will get some pics together of it w/ some ZigZag Tigers, a K-50M, RPG2 and whatever else cool Vietnam related I might have access to. I think I'm about ready to chop one of the RPDs...

Hey

Thats a nice SOG :w00t: , congratulations to a great find AK101 ;) .

About the sheath care, I think there are some instructions of sheath care in the start of this thread. Otherwise I know we have some very knowledgeable people on this forum that can help you with that question.

Im posting a photo of one of my Brass Guard Presentation SOG, a USER. Sorry for bad focus, the camera just didn´t want to cooperate with me :ermm: .

Regards// Martin

post-2634-1264891809.jpg

• 1 month later...

I see posts refering to 6" knives being "TYPE II" etc...

How many types of blades are there for the 6" and what are the differences? Does it only refer to the finish? Blue/Plum?Chrome?

THANKS!!

Hey AK101.

That is another great find you have done, congrats to you mate. :thumbsup: :w00t: ;)

Is it a Presentation one or numbered?

Looks like blue blade?

Yes there are 3 different type of the 6" Blade that can be found on the SOG knife. These types can be seen in the book by Tom Clinton. I will try find the book and take a photo of the three types that are drawn in the book.

Blue, Plum and Chrome only refer to the blade´s finish.

Again AK101, GREAT SOG :thumbsup: and thanks for posting it.

Regards,, Martin

Is it a Presentation one or numbered?

Looks like blue blade?

Martin,

Thanks for the kind words, I look forward to the info on blade types.

The blue bladed knife has no markings at all that I can find....

My plum is an unnamed 5th Group presentation model

AK101

I found the book that we talked about. Its by Tom Clinton and titel is: KNIVES OF THE U.S. SPECIAL FORCES.

There are 3 Type of Blades used on the 6" SOG.

4 different Type of Sheath were used.

Regards,, Martin

post-2634-1268685346.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am new to the forum and site and I am so happy to find it so I can share and learn with you experts. I am posting pictures today of 2 knives 1 SOG and 1 Nguyen Dan carried by the late Captain Robert M Jewell. I knew Capt Jewell for less than 45 minutes as I had the sad duty of transporting him to the hospital where he later died. I did befriend his wife and was able to help her and get many of his items through purchase and gift. Capt. Jewell was 2nd Ranger Battalion WWII and survived the D Day landing. He was an original member of the 10th and 77th SFG. He did 2 tours in Vietnam from 1964 to 1967. From what I understand his expertise was as an interrogater and the use of the lie detector. After his retirement he worked with the Sherriffs Dept as a lie detector operator. I did not get any of his uniforms but did get a pair of black pajamas. In the pictures I have of him I can only find a picture with a jet pilots knife and a Mark II. The Mark II was on a list of his possessions and it and his uniforms went to a friend in Minnesota.

I wish I had known him before his last day as I would have loved to hear his stories.

Enjoy these pictures as we honor him and others who did make sacrifices for our freedom.

Any questions I will do my best to answer.

Tim

post-12381-1276267429.jpg

post-12381-1276267461.jpg

post-12381-1276267550.jpg

More pictures

post-12381-1276267710.jpg

post-12381-1276267738.jpg

post-12381-1276267789.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mikko.

Nice to se that you got your first SOG knife. A Presentation piece :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,, Martin

Any comments?

post-5424-1277386928.jpg

• 1 month later...

A REAL SOG Bowie Knife! Not one of the standard issue and gift knives...This one is quite large and in keeping with its heroic proportions it has the biggest stone I've seen on a knife! Damned thing's big as a brick...I'll take photos next to the usual SOG knife later. Ed

Link to thread

post-3653-1281785984.jpg

post-3653-1281786130.jpg

post-3653-1281786251.jpg