Vietnam SOG Knives

Spy vs Spy

But what makes it a SOG knife, blade style, grip, or just that it was issued to those units...?

I have been informed (several times), by an officer of men who were issued and carried such knives for the intended purpose, that there is no such thing as a "SOG knife" or "SOG bowie". This gets me in trouble, but is an interesting historical issue.

Having said that, what is called "SOG" anything is called that nowadays, 40-50 years after they were issued... as a way of identifying a kind of knife by a name they never had - some authentic ones of which are pictured in this thread. The ones with a dark blade and little snap pocket for whetstone on the sheath are the issued type most often called "SOG."

As also mentioned here above, there are variants. But what is usually called a SOG knife basically looks and feels as described... not including the shiny-metal presentation knives - which would never or extremely rarely have appeared in combat conditions - simply because they reflect light like a mirror.

From someone experienced with the weapons as carried in-country, he told me that this "SOG" knife being shown here was usually accompanied by at least one and sometimes two other special purpose knives. I cannot for the life of me remember the brand names of those high class supplementary knives, but when they were mentioned everyone seemed to know exactly what was being talked about. My buddy even went so far as to say that the GI knife was his supplementary one, and that he favored the ones he personally bought (at high cost) to carry.

We've gone around the horn on this topic 3 times in recent months that I'm sure of... with the upshot that in one case an Army supply type guy on here identified the knife involved using something as simple as the name "Utility Knife"... I think he even gave the supply serial number :D Not very glamorous, but he showed that the piece was not issued as a "SOG" or "MACV-SOG" knife. It wasn't even called a "survival knife" I don't think, by the Army anyway...

So anyhow, it seems to me that the point is moot as to what it WAS called 45 years ago. "SOG bowie" is a nickname for a knife used by guys whose existence did not exist - so to speak, and that's what it will probably always be called since it became so collectable.

Finding a real one with named provenance to anyone who was part of an actual MACV-SOG Special Forces combat detachment must be quite a trick, and if I were looking for it I'd rely on what the guys here have to say about it.

I think he told me that there were probably not more than 3500-4000 total bush SOGs ever - out of hundreds of thousands of US deployed. My memory could be faulty on that number... anyhow, not very many ever saw that knife used as intended.

billythekid
I have been informed (several times), by an officer of men who were issued and carried such knives for the intended purpose, that there is no such thing as a "SOG knife" or "SOG bowie". This gets me in trouble, but is an interesting historical issue.

Having said that, what is called "SOG" anything is called that nowadays, 40-50 years after they were issued... as a way of identifying a kind of knife by a name they never had - some authentic ones of which are pictured in this thread. The ones with a dark blade and little snap pocket for whetstone on the sheath are the issued type most often called "SOG."

As also mentioned here above, there are variants. But what is usually called a SOG knife basically looks and feels as described... not including the shiny-metal presentation knives - which would never or extremely rarely have appeared in combat conditions - simply because they reflect light like a mirror.

From someone experienced with the weapons as carried in-country, he told me that this "SOG" knife being shown here was usually accompanied by at least one and sometimes two other special purpose knives. I cannot for the life of me remember the brand names of those high class supplementary knives, but when they were mentioned everyone seemed to know exactly what was being talked about. My buddy even went so far as to say that the GI knife was his supplementary one, and that he favored the ones he personally bought (at high cost) to carry.

We've gone around the horn on this topic 3 times in recent months that I'm sure of... with the upshot that in one case an Army supply type guy on here identified the knife involved using something as simple as the name "Utility Knife"... I think he even gave the supply serial number :D Not very glamorous, but he showed that the piece was not issued as a "SOG" or "MACV-SOG" knife. It wasn't even called a "survival knife" I don't think, by the Army anyway...

So anyhow, it seems to me that the point is moot as to what it WAS called 45 years ago. "SOG bowie" is a nickname for a knife used by guys whose existence did not exist - so to speak, and that's what it will probably always be called since it became so collectable.

Finding a real one with named provenance to anyone who was part of an actual MACV-SOG Special Forces combat detachment must be quite a trick, and if I were looking for it I'd rely on what the guys here have to say about it.

I think he told me that there were probably not more than 3500-4000 total bush SOGs ever - out of hundreds of thousands of US deployed. My memory could be faulty on that number... anyhow, not very many ever saw that knife used as intended.

How about info straight from the horse's mouth ? .. here is an article written by Ben Baker - Deputy Chief of CISO, responsible for the task of providing knives for Special Forces and SOG. As for refering to these knives as SOG - well, perhaps it'd be better to use the term Mr Baker used in contracts for these knives ? - "Knife, indigenous, hunting, 6", w/black sheath and whetstone". The early 7" knives were refered to as: " Kinfe, indigenous, RECON 7", w/ scabbard & whetstone".

Surely Mr Baker would be *the authority* to attend any question about these knives to - and his article, I think, addresses the issues quite well.

Here is the article in PDF format:

http://www.freewebs.com/billyschorr/SOG%20...htingKnives.pdf

Kind regards,

Bill

billythekid
There we go... Knife, indigenous, hunting, 6", w/black sheath and whetstone.

That is indeed the title Mr Baker used when contracting these knives - clearly for the purpose of ordering what then was equipment of a "sterile" nature. If you read the article Mr Baker also states that the SOG/ 5th SF approved final test models on June 6, 1964 and near the end of the article states:

"Only those knives as described by myself were original issue and should be considered as such (SOG bowies / CIA knives) These knives were made for the men of SOG and the 5th Special Forces with whom I worked, drank, laughed and cried, and who accepted me and forgave my faults. If one life was saved or a job made easier by their use, it was all worthwhile.

Kind regards,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Amen too that Bill ;)

And thanks for posting photos of your SOG. A nice used SOG, too bad that there wasn´t any of the PLUM color left on the blade. Again a nice knife with alot of character :thumbsup:

I´w just got a SOG mailed from US two days ago, will take some photos of it and post when I get it home.

Best regards,, Martin

( - To; Mike Tucker. Is it possible that you maybe can post a photo of Bernad Bright´s PLUM SOG here? )

Hey Mikko.

Yes I just got home from Scotland (rope access on rig) 33 days and 430+ hours. Tired...

Yes I´w seen that SOG, thanks Mikko ;) . In my opinion I think that is a Iron Guard Pressentation SOG not a PLUM SOG. But still a SOG ;)

Maybe some other SOG collector can give more input on this listed SOG? :thumbsup:

Regards,, Martin

• 2 weeks later...
pwmiraldi67
Hey Mikko.

Yes I just got home from Scotland (rope access on rig) 33 days and 430+ hours. Tired...

Yes I´w seen that SOG, thanks Mikko ;) . In my opinion I think that is a Iron Guard Pressentation SOG not a PLUM SOG. But still a SOG ;)

Maybe some other SOG collector can give more input on this listed SOG? :thumbsup:

Regards,, Martin

hey Martin

sorry it took so long to reply here, my scanner was down!!

heres my One-Zero SOG bowie named to Capt Frank "Vic" Vecchiarello MACV SOG CCC along with the knife Ive also got his One-Zero black jacket, One-Zero Black Boonie hat, beret, and brass "Little Ceaser" mug, which I will post here later or set up another thread :)

paul

post-2472-1249015235.jpg

post-2472-1249015259.jpg

Yes! THAT IS A LOVELY SOG Paul and worth waiting for :w00t:

Ohhh please Buddha give me strength...

The Steel Guard and Pommel is just wonderful with its laquered peacock blue color and with the hand stamped 4 digit number on Pommel. Blade has the machine stamped "5000". :thumbsup:

These are by far the most rare of 6" SOG knives there is! :w00t:

What number do you have on the Pommel Paul.

I have my first 5000 series on the way too Sweden, hope too have it next week. Will post photos when I get it, I just hope that it arrives before Im of too Thailand :unsure:

Thanks for posting one of your SOGs Paul.

Regards,, M

pwmiraldi67
Yes! THAT IS A LOVELY SOG Paul and worth waiting for :w00t:

Ohhh please Buddha give me strength...

The Steel Guard and Pommel is just wonderful with its laquered peacock blue color and with the hand stamped 4 digit number on Pommel. Blade has the machine stamped "5000". :thumbsup:

These are by far the most rare of 6" SOG knives there is! :w00t:

What number do you have on the Pommel Paul.

I have my first 5000 series on the way too Sweden, hope too have it next week. Will post photos when I get it, I just hope that it arrives before Im of too Thailand :unsure:

Thanks for posting one of your SOGs Paul.

Regards,, M

Hey martin

funny I only recently noticed the number on the Pommel, for the longest time I was going by the number on the blade; 5000 but on the pommel its 5274, nice to know it was a good investment!!!! I bought the grouping from Hardy back in 2004 or 05 at the low rate price of 10,000 now that I see 1-0 jackets, and 1-0 boonies going for silly money I can die a happy man now!!!!

sadley the snap on the sheath is broke but no worries I still love it since it has prominonce, along with all the other cool goodies!! heres Vics One Zero hat and jacket; enjoy!!!

paul

post-2472-1249081469.jpg

Mike Tucker

Martin, here are some images of SFC Bernard Bright's SOG knife. As you know, SFC Bright was part of Operation Tailwind. He told me that this knife was not "issued" to him. He was in the supply room one day and saw this type of knife. SFC Bright then asked the supply sgt. how he could get one and was handed the knife. Not a romantic story but the truth. As long as the knifes were in the supply room, SFC Bright said that it was not hard to obtain one.

post-405-1249506800.jpg

another view

post-405-1249506860.jpg

Notice the unusual number "8".

post-405-1249506903.jpg

more

post-405-1249506990.jpg

Mike.

You have a very nice named Sterile high number Plum SOG there, with nice plum color blade. :w00t:

I like the "not so romantic" story that Mr BRIGHT told you. I have a e-mail from RT HABU veteran Nick Brokhausen where he tells me that he got 3 new SOGs in boxes when he left Vietnam. He gave them too his brother and his hunting buddies when he got back home.

So I guess its like you were told, that as long as they were in supply you could get them. Maybe helped abit too know the supply Sergeant also. ;)

Thanks for posting the SOG Mike, it sure is a great SOG. :thumbsup:

Regards,, Martin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice SOGs you have there warpath. The minty one with box and all is a beauty, but the used one is a "killer" in my eyes. :lol:

Something tells me that you have more SOGs laying around. ;)

Thanks for posting warpath.

Regards,, Martin

This is one of my SOG, Special Forces Presentation ones. Aluminum Guard and Pommel.

I usally keep the knife in the condition that I find them, exept for taking rust away if any.

Sorry for the bad photos and the flash. ;)

Regards,, M

post-2634-1253892273.jpg

post-2634-1253892314.jpg

Not a SOG but Im sure the scabbard is familiar to you guys.Was bought just as found.I often wonder if the owner wanted a longer knife or lost the original one from the scabbard

post-342-1254009122.jpg

Bily

I echo Kriegs pain!!!

Very nice example.Did you buy this at a show or from a fellow enthusiast??

RON

The knife was purchased from a well known collector / dealer (and one terrific fella - incredibly friendly and knowledgeable). I now hope to find a round tip bolo to complete the set - any idea what those go for now days ?

If anyone is interested, I've updated a short review I did on these knives - posted on my small webpage:

http://www.freewebs.com/billyschorr/macvsogknives.htm

The photos and bit of info on the 7" model can be found in the 2nd section - hope this is of interest. If anyone finds any errors please feel free to let me know (contact me here via private message).

Thanks again and kind regards,

Bill

Not a SOG but Im sure the scabbard is familiar to you guys.Was bought just as found.I often wonder if the owner wanted a longer knife or lost the original one from the scabbard

post-342-1254009122.jpg

Hey Ron.

Nice set you have there my friend. ;)

If you look in Hardys and Tuckers book you can se some RT photos when some RT members have exact same set up as you have, K Bar in a SOG scabbard. My guess is that maybe they lost the SOG knife when taped upside down on the rigg, just like Frank Greco mentions in his book, Running Recon. Or replaced the SOG with a better knife. I got a couple of e-mails from SOG veterans that said same thing about the SOG knife, - you just couldn`t use it for anything good, a piece of crap.

If you ever decide too part with the K-bar Ron please let me know. ;)

Hey Billy.

I don`t know why I can`t se the pictures. :ermm:

But I guess you went for the SOG 7" RECON, the one you sent me photos on.. That is a "killer" knife.. :w00t: :thumbsup: ;)

Best regards,, Martin

Hey Billy.

YES... That is really a nice 7" RECON.. :w00t: Congratulate too a great buy mate, and thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbsup:

I think I must make some trips too the Rig and then buy my self a SOG 7" RECON.

Again great knife Billy.

Regards, Martin

Ron, I raise your SOG scabbard, but I guess you still beat me with your knife. ;)

My SOG sheath was bought from baystatemilitaria. Nice and used.

// M

post-2634-1254188981.jpg

post-2634-1254189009.jpg

post-2634-1254189119.jpg

Spy vs Spy said:
Ron, I raise your SOG scabbard, but I guess you still beat me with your knife. ;)

My SOG sheath was bought from baystatemilitaria. Nice and used.

// M

SOG OP 35 Shining Brass/Buffalo Bill Knife engraved presentation to SFC Horton J. Daniels MAC-SOG 35 Liaison Bureau with a chrome plated SOG Knife

post-3653-1254395330.jpg

post-3653-1254395356.jpg