Vietnam SOG Knives

Spy vs Spy

Here's a shot of the MK-2's. The top photo shows the K-Bar which has an oval handle and the lower is the Camillus which has a round handle. the blade tip on the Camillus was damaged and reground to a point.

post-283632-0-46698900-1580262720_thumb.jpg

Thanks Joe for posting your CISO SOG knife. Did you carry it while in country?

What production number is on the blade?

MK2s are cool as well.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Martin

Thanks Joe for posting your CISO SOG knife. Did you carry it while in country?

What production number is on the blade?

MK2s are cool as well.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Martin

Martin, the production number of the CISO SOG is 793.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Knife  and tigers that belonged to Don Sheppard,  SOG RT member.   Years ago his  son posted his 1-0 jacket either here or on WAF I don't recall which.  A member here or the other board ended up with the jacket. 

20210821_140025.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Cpl. Punishment

I recently acquired this iron guard directly from the veteran who carried it in Vietnam. He was a MIKE force veteran, and got this from a CCN member who did recon around Bu Prang during the siege in late 1969. Before the CCN team left, one of the members gave this to this veteran. The veteran noted he carried a Buck frontiersman as his primary bush knife, but had this in his pack during all operations and was used for more “precise” work. This knife was carried by CCN members operating around the Bu Prang base while under siege, and was carried by this veteran during the siege of Dak Seang in 1970. He provided me with a signed and notarized letter of provenance to accompany the knife. He also included a picture of himself with the knife and his beret when he sold the knife to me last month. If you know of this veteran DO NOT include his name in these threads. 

34CBB58A-F38F-40E5-A6BE-118F6B7D2D6E.jpeg.0aab1fc8482ede51b0f8aee45220dbee.jpeg32366E32-2C9C-41FA-8456-F412D8FEBF51.jpeg.40bfae66032fc2ad900d95e31e926a3b.jpeg

• 9 months later...

I have the opportunity to include this SOG CISO knife in my collection. It has a type 2 blade and most of the blue-ing is "lost to time". The tip of the blade is missing it's point. The sheath is  very good B+. The ricasso is stamped less than #190, making it an early 1967. It comes with photos of previous owner with pix of him and blade at the time. How much less than $3K should I offer? I can hold out for a much better example.  The tip of the blade missing I think hurts the value but the knife comes with a lot of history, documentation, and a guarantee it is 100% original and authentic. But does the damaged tip outweigh the provenance?

IMG_2745.JPG

Blacksmith
1 hour ago, VNAMVET70 said:

I have the opportunity to include this SOG CISO knife in my collection. It has a type 2 blade and most of the blue-ing is "lost to time". The tip of the blade is missing it's point. The sheath is  very good B+. The ricasso is stamped less than #190, making it an early 1967. It comes with photos of previous owner with pix of him and blade at the time. How much less than $3K should I offer? I can hold out for a much better example.  The tip of the blade missing I think hurts the value but the knife comes with a lot of history, documentation, and a guarantee it is 100% original and authentic. But does the damaged tip outweigh the provenance?

IMG_2745.JPG

Is that Samuel Parrish’s #162?

There was a pretty rough numbered SOG knife that sold on eBay recently for 755 with shipping and before sales tax.  You cans till find it in the completed listing of a search for SOG knife in Vietnam Edge Weapons.  Last year there were 2 rough ones, one sterile with a bit of plum color left on a very pitted blade, fair to poor sheath, and one numbered with a so-so fair sheath no pitting, but little finish.  These went for around 850 if I remember correctly. Being named asBlacksmith is surmising is a big plus, and does affect its value positively.  I think any number around $3000 is an awful lot of money for the condition, named or otherwise.

After a bit of research and a net search I see that the knife discussed above is in Jason Hardy's new SOG Knife book.  And, although I will stand with my opinion regarding the condition of the knife, it does not compare with the SOG knives I referred to in my comments above.  Jason Hardy's book is a very comprehensive study of these knives, and any knife that found its way into the book does have weight and collector value beyond anonymous knives of the same condition.  

25 minutes ago, dvs said:

After a bit of research and a net search I see that the knife discussed above is in Jason Hardy's new SOG Knife book.  And, although I will stand with my opinion regarding the condition of the knife, it does not compare with the SOG knives I referred to in my comments above.  Jason Hardy's book is a very comprehensive study of these knives, and any knife that found its way into the book does have weight and collector value beyond anonymous knives of the same condition.  

There are plenty of good SOG knives that are not in the book simply because trusting USPS/UPS/FEDEX with irreplacable items for a photo opportunity was not a risk everyone was willing to take. 

31 minutes ago, AK101 said:

There are plenty of good SOG knives that are not in the book simply because trusting USPS/UPS/FEDEX with irreplacable items for a photo opportunity was not a risk everyone was willing to take. 

Your point is well taken.  These knives have merit regardless of being featured in a book, but it does aid in them being recognized.  I was one of those collectors also

afraid to trust any of the shippers with mine

• 9 months later...
Wildfan99

I see there hasn't been any activity on this post for a while.

I saw this post and jumped at the opportunity to try to learn about my SOG.

It was given to me by a friend about 20 years ago. I don't know anything about it.

Guessing it's maybe a commemorative?

16830696798235109178799828962277.jpg

1683069700074477218520958438656.jpg

16830697520013800405465506291294.jpg

8 minutes ago, Wildfan99 said:

I see there hasn't been any activity on this post for a while.

I saw this post and jumped at the opportunity to try to learn about my SOG.

It was given to me by a friend about 20 years ago. I don't know anything about it.

Guessing it's maybe a commemorative?

16830696798235109178799828962277.jpg

1683069700074477218520958438656.jpg

16830697520013800405465506291294.jpg

Yes yours is one of the versions made by SOG Specialty Knives. Older versions were made in Seki Japan and now are made in Taiwan I recall.

Wildfan99

Thank you for the reply.

I was just searching other posts and was checking to see if it was a fake.

Cool to see that it isn't.

Yes, made in Seki- Japan.

Have a great day!

10 minutes ago, Wildfan99 said:

Thank you for the reply.

I was just searching other posts and was checking to see if it was a fake.

Cool to see that it isn't.

Yes, made in Seki- Japan.

Have a great day!

Your blade, while very nice and desirable, is not a Vietnam period knife but a copy made by a company named SOG.  It was not made by them to deceive so not a fake but a reproduction.

VNAMVET70

The first reproduction SOG S1 knives were brought to market by Spencer Frazer in 1987. Spencer Frazer said he brought in Ichiro Hattori (famous bladesmith at the time) to make the first knives for SOG Specialty Knives when SOG was located in Santa Monica, Ca. The SOG S1 knives were made in the same factories that made the original MACV CISO knives in SEKI, Japan. I too have one of the first SOG S1 knives with the 5th Special Forces crest at the bottom of the leather sheath.