Vietnam SOG Knives

Spy vs Spy

• 2 weeks later...

Owen, the post you dugout was from June 2011. Im kinda interested to see how long it takes for you to reply this time.

Let me know if anything else I can do.

Best

Martin

post-2634-0-57780900-1547330656_thumb.jpeg

This 5000series SOG was in my collection a few years ago. It was a user and as seen, all the Peacock Blue color is gone from the blade, Pommel and Cross guard.

Best

Mpost-2634-0-83978100-1547933265_thumb.jpegpost-2634-0-65456500-1547933292_thumb.jpeg

Outstanding David. The Gilmore SOGs are pure beauties. I find the engraved ones very interesting. As they most often can be tired directly to the veteran. And they many times sport all kinds of interesting information on the blade.

Does the TF3AE still have the original box? I want to remember that I saw it online somewhere displayed with the box.

Thanks for sharing David.

Best

Martin

hey Martin Yes the box is still with the knife. It went from John Gibson to Miguel Hughes, then I am not sure, but Mike Silvey ended up with them and I got it from him. I had forgotten just how nice they were, until I pulled them back out.

Great knives DVS. Thanks for sharing them. Would love to see more from your collection.

Hey DavidM thanks. Scroll back a couple of pages and you will see everything I posted Thanks for looking

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You got your self some nice ones there Andrew. Fat Guard and the Plum looks to be in very good condition. I believe I an see a 7” Recon in there as well.

Great catch.

Please share more photos if possible.

Best

Martin

wartimecollectables.com

Unfortunately no scabbard. It was wired to a presentation plaque but the vet removed the other pieces from the plaque an it was in rough shape. Came with some VN postcards, flash, SCU patch, and misc. that had all been pasted into a photo album. The award certificate shown is a copy. SFC Morales has a great history. Started in the 101st, then Delta B52, FOB2, and finally CCC in RT New Hampshire .... pretty sure he was the 1-0 of the RT. No not a keeper. Wish I could but ahhhhh.... bills first and for some reason my wife and kids keep wanting food and shelter!.

post-93-0-41245100-1552481866_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-90966300-1552481880_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Martin

Its been together a long time.The snaps are marked and lots of vedegris on rivits.Thanks again for the confirmation.

Ron,

I was re-reading this post and thought I would point out that the backside of the rivits on your sheath is a giveaway as well. Sorry I didn't point this out earlier in my reply.

Best

M

• 2 months later...

My mini SOG Knife. Made by Harold Lafler. Retired Randall Made Knives Shop worker.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-29981200-1560664340.jpeg

post-7752-0-61102400-1560664431.jpeg

Another view.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-40716800-1560664527.jpeg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Frank Trzaska

RIP Conrad "Ben" Baker, designer of the SOG knife along with so many other items used in Vietnam and elsewhere.

Thank You Ben!

Frank Trzaska

Here is one I have owned for quite a few years, someone tried customizing it. It started life as and original Fat Guard.

4107a.jpg

4107b.jpg

4107c.jpg

4107e.jpg

4107f.jpg

All the best

Frank Trzaska

• 4 weeks later...

I recently stumbled onto the Vietnam SOG knives section of the forum found it very interesting. I retired from Navy Special Warfare in 1980 after completing 27 years of service and now living in San Diego where I operated out of during most of my Navy career. I'm not a knife collector but I do have what I believe is a Type 2 MACV-SOG knife that I acquired from a SOG operator in Vietnam in 1970. I also have a couple of Mark 2 "Marine fighting knives" that were issued to me back in the 60's. One is made by K-Bar and the other by Camillus, the original maker of the MK2. The differences between the two are subtle. I once had three of the MK2's but traded one of them for the SOG. I'm pleased to have joined the forum.

I recently stumbled onto the Vietnam SOG knives section of the forum found it very interesting. I retired from Navy Special Warfare in 1980 after completing 27 years of service and now living in San Diego where I operated out of during most of my Navy career. I'm not a knife collector but I do have what I believe is a Type 2 MACV-SOG knife that I acquired from a SOG operator in Vietnam in 1970. I also have a couple of Mark 2 "Marine fighting knives" that were issued to me back in the 60's. One is made by K-Bar and the other by Camillus, the original maker of the MK2. The differences between the two are subtle. I once had three of the MK2's but traded one of them for the SOG. I'm pleased to have joined the forum.

Welcome Joe.

Great to have you on board.

Hope to see your knives added to the topic.