Vietnam SOG Knives

Spy vs Spy

When looking at the uncut down photo, it also show the Dominican soldier.

Title say: Special Forces Training Dominican soldiers in 1971.

Iron Guard :)

Regards

M

• 2 months later...
kriegsmodell

My first. Popped up in western Illinois.

I'm far from an expert and better photos would help but I have some really bad feelings about this knife. The knife and scabbard appear to be the Iron Guard reproduction types made in India or Pakistan in the 1980s. These knives lack plastic handle spacers and have the exaggerated elongated ricasso as seen here. Also of note is the lanyard hole in the pommel facing forward instead of at the rear. The blade shape is the same and also has this "plum" color. Some of the CISO knives have plum blades but the reproductions have a distinctive odd shape and round blunt edge bevel. The scabbards are constructed of heavy leather stock with exaggerated edge impressions and have thickly painted metal rivets. The style/shape of the retention strap and stone pocket & flap also match the reproductions. Another feature of the India/Pak reproductions is the unpainted retention strap button snap. The retention snap buttons on the original scabbards are finished with black paint. These scabbards did not come with a stone. There are other features of the reproduction knives that might be present as well but would need to have the piece in hand or see more detailed photographs.

Again, hard to tell from a single photograph but I also see problems with the blade engraving which does not conform to original period examples. This engraving appears to be of a recent "trophy house" style. The wording of the engraving is unusual in the use of "5th Special Forces" only without Group or (A) or Airborne followed by the (CCN). Not what I would expect to see on a period presented CISO knife. Others may have different opinions but if possible I would try and get my money back on this piece. My thoughts only .....

I agree with both Lance and Doyler.

These reproduction "SOGs" also lack the 2 Black plastic spacers.

Try to get your money back!

Best regards

Martin

Thanks, guys, picked the knife up at a consignment auction for not a lot of dough. Looks like I paid a little tuition, no worries. thanks for sharing your opinions. BMac

Now for a little redemption. Here's a pic of one I took while sitting at the SF vet's kitchen table. He also had the stilleto and Delta ring. Neat stuff!

post-16436-0-84389300-1426434847.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a first time poster here, and having trouble getting my post to take. Let's see....

I was a recon team leader for MACVSOG/CCS during 69/70 and was actually issued 2 SOG knives. When I left, I gave the "beat up" used one to one of my Yard team members. I kept the second one in pristine condition as a collector. Here are two views of that same knife.

I have done plenty of study/research on the SOG knife and have become friends with Ben Baker, the designer and head of CISO in the VN era. Ben designed and developed many more things for us SOG guys that just this knife. He is still alive and sharp as a tack. He can remember every one of the specialty items he developed.

post-162328-0-75056800-1458600679.jpg post-162328-0-30545300-1458600676.jpg

Thanks for posting your knife, Mike. That's a good story and a great knife with solid provenance. I'm glad Ben's well, I haven't talked with him in years. He had a fascinating diverse career. Ed

I'm a first time poster here, and having trouble getting my post to take. Let's see....

I was a recon team leader for MACVSOG/CCS during 69/70 and was actually issued 2 SOG knives. When I left, I gave the "beat up" used one to one of my Yard team members. I kept the second one in pristine condition as a collector. Here are two views of that same knife.

I have done plenty of study/research on the SOG knife and have become friends with Ben Baker, the designer and head of CISO in the VN era. Ben designed and developed many more things for us SOG guys that just this knife. He is still alive and sharp as a tack. He can remember every one of the specialty items he developed.

attachicon.gif sog knife 2 resized.jpg attachicon.gif sog knife 2 A resized.jpg

A link to help size and post your images or send to [email protected] and I will post for you.

http://ben-major.com/tools/usmf-resize.php

attachicon.gifsog knife 2 resized.jpg attachicon.gifsog knife 2 A resized.jpg

Mike

Thanks for your service and thank for posting your knife pictures.Never get tired of looking at the SOGs

Mike Ash,

That is a great looking SOG knife ( wish the photos were larger ;) )

Is your SOG numbered?

-There is a very interesting photo of you in Jason Hardy's book Volume IV, you and Graham practicing repelling techniques from a Huey.

Looking closer at the picture, it seems that you are wearing an inverted SOG knife to your harness? Might be the one you gave to your team member?

Thanks for sharing the story and your SOG knife with us Mike, and welcome aboard.

Best regards

Martin

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Andrew

nice named sog knife. did you get the sheath with it? any other items with the knife named to the veteran? also will that knife be on your site for sale or is it for the collection? thanks

wartimecollectables.com

Unfortunately no scabbard. It was wired to a presentation plaque but the vet removed the other pieces from the plaque an it was in rough shape. Came with some VN postcards, flash, SCU patch, and misc. that had all been pasted into a photo album. The award certificate shown is a copy. SFC Morales has a great history. Started in the 101st, then Delta B52, FOB2, and finally CCC in RT New Hampshire .... pretty sure he was the 1-0 of the RT. No not a keeper. Wish I could but ahhhhh.... bills first and for some reason my wife and kids keep wanting food and shelter!.

post-93-0-23654800-1497711927.jpg

Thought this was neat....

post-93-0-47214900-1497712148.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Highly buffed Presentation Model.

TYpically see the scabbards with the rivits around the stone pocket.I know variations exist.Has anyone have one similiar/same?

post-342-0-29606000-1532642114_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-21014200-1532642141_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-88664000-1532642228_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-12885000-1532642259_thumb.jpg

Beezman,

-I'm afraid you knife and sheath are both copies. The Paki variation if I'm not totally of.

Doyler,

Your SOG is real as it gets.

Sheath however is not original.

Compare you sheath with Beezman's, they just tried harder to cover it up with removing the pressed lines in the leather.

Best regards

Martin

Beezman,

-I'm afraid you knife and sheath are both copies. The Paki variation if I'm not totally of.

Doyler,

Your SOG is real as it gets.

Sheath however is not original.

Compare you sheath with Beezman's, they just tried harder to cover it up with removing the pressed lines in the leather.

Best regards

Martin

Thanks Martin

Its been together a long time.The snaps are marked and lots of vedegris on rivits.Thanks again for the confirmation.