A smattering of my uncle's TR bring-back haul

67Rally

I must say that I've been enjoying this new "trial" forum on the USMF and agree that keeping the postings in proper context to avoid devolving into foreign militaria discussion is the proper guidance.

My (grand) uncle served in three wars (WWI, II and the KW) and I've posted here extensively regarding his service and the discoveries I've made regarding his service along the way. My initial foray into collecting began with the trunk of TR militaria that he had liberated during his service in the ETO as both MIS and CIC. He did go into Berchtesgaden which provided considerable opportunity to acquire some of the TR finery, uniform elements and ephemera. What he sent home was contained in several trunks (two of which were sent to my grandparents home in 1945) and remained untouched since they were packed by my uncle.

In the trunk(s) was a veritable treasure trove of items ranging from a full SS officer uniform (trousers, frock, long overcoat, visor cap, helmet) to pieces of cavalry and Wehrmacht uniforms, a dress dagger, a HUGE flag/banner, brassards, photos, books with Der Fuhrer's plate, tinnies, pins, medals, etc.

My uncle wanted us to sell what we could to raise funds to help care for my grandparents (my grandfather was his little brother) as we relocated them to assisted living and the expense was going to be (obviously) significant. After much research, I contacted a few reputable collectors, selling some of the most amazing pieces (the SS items) to him for well over $10k (this was in 1995).

I still have much remaining and here is a sample:

6906269656_a38525c669_b.jpg

7052463411_c15dbeea70_c.jpg

6906360726_04e8fe44a6_c.jpg

7052437749_257b3dab75_c.jpg

7052363439_75ed35c23a_c.jpg

6906378910_6ea9ba1f7e_c.jpg

7052445223_247f3fb256_c.jpg

I did take photos way back then (in 1994) of the items when we discovered the trunks in the attic. I don't know where they are since it has been 18 years since then.

The condition is the product of storage for a half-century without being opened to the environs. I was thankful that nothing else happened whilebin the attic! The buyer was beside himself as he had NEVER seen TR stuff in this condition. All of the leather is still supple. Fabrics are as new. If one didn't know any better, they'd think it was repro...but everything is correct in regards to the stamps and issuing marks.

That's a killer Cavalry waffenrock!

Mark sends

I'm not much on German militaria, but when I see how they focused attention toward the details - that every appointment (button, braid, etc.) applied was done so tastefully and with purpose, I can see past the adornment of the Nazi symbolism and observe the traditions that were carried ahead from the Imperial German uniforms.

Would I every "buy" a TR item? Nope. Since these help to tell my uncle's narrative of service in the U.S. Army, I hang on to them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
blitzkrieg gsd

Very nice uniform in deed I have been on the fence for a couple years weather to buy one or not. I'm not a big fan of the dark side stuff but some of it talks to me. These parade uniforms are one of the items I like so it's been on my mind. Now I see how nice yours looks and it's got me thinking again about getting one. Then again the amount of money it would cost me would be a good start on some higher end US stuff I want. This is a problem with this addiction I call a hobby to much cool stuff not enough money lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...