my latest purchase an AN-J-4 !

littlebuddy

just thought id post a few pics of the AN-J-4 i recently bought from a guy here in the UK

having got it delivered and giving it a quick once over i put it in my spare room till i had time to give it some leather treatment and a clean .

i have found today after i started cleaning it that one panel of the sheepskin lining is starting to part with the leather backing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there anything i cando to stop this ????????????? help please !!!

i will post this again in an apprpriate section

thanks Carl

Very nice and in amazing condition given it's age. These jackets are underappreciated and were one of the nicest sheepskins made. Nice pick-up

Tom Bowers

Very nice and in amazing condition given it's age. These jackets are underappreciated and were one of the nicest sheepskins made. Nice pick-up

Tom Bowers

thanks Tom !!!! i dont think it was too expensive a little over £250 sterling just under the $400 mark !!

shame about the sheepskin coming away on the inside though !!

i was looking to buy a repro from eastman's £750 !!!!

And yes i do think it is an under appreciated jacket !!! i love them and i want more !!!! lol

carl

Carl,

Nice jacket. Nice pictures. Looks like an older tag too.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT OLD SHEEPSKIN....ALL IT WANTS TO DO IN IT'S OLD AGE IS FALL APART.

I recommend not hanging it on a hanger, the weight of the jacket can rip out the shoulders. Best displayed on a mannequin or laid flat. And I wouldn't wear it around either, unless you want it to be a one shot deal. At least that has been my experience with 70 year old shearling.

Jason

Carl,

Nice jacket. Nice pictures. Looks like an older tag too.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT OLD SHEEPSKIN....ALL IT WANTS TO DO IN IT'S OLD AGE IS FALL APART.

I recommend not hanging it on a hanger, the weight of the jacket can rip out the shoulders. Best displayed on a mannequin or laid flat. And I wouldn't wear it around either, unless you want it to be a one shot deal. At least that has been my experience with 70 year old shearling.

Jason

hi jason the tag is dated 44 i think ?? there is a little coming apart of the seam where the hanging loop is at the back of the collar apart from that and little scuffs and a couple of nicks it all looks ok ! i have give it a good leather feed !! i was hoping to wear this but i think it will stay at home in the cupboard !! ill have to save up for an Eastman Leather copy !!!

Carl,

Is that tag sewn onto the bottom of the jacket? I think they are usually up around the neck...that is interesting. I only say it is an older tag because I believe for the most part the USN tags were black. I think some early AAF jackets like the B-10 had white tags. I'm sure the answer is around here on The Forum somewhere.

I'd love to wear one of those jackets around, but I don't think it would last very long.

JC

with it being an an-j-4 i thought it was manufactured for both services all the an-j-4 's i have seen , have the label at the waist

and have been the same print and colour mine is made by "poughkeepsie"

it really is a class jacket !!! i think its better looking than the B3 !!!! and i have 3 B3's !!

just want a decent pair of trousers to suit it now !!!!

Well then you would know better than I.

Maybe I've never really seen an AN-J-4 before.

I have an AN-J-3a presently (looks like a WW2 G-1 or whatever those things are called), and it has the black tag at the neck.

Had an AN-J-3 ( I think it was) many years ago...looks like a cross between and A-2 and G-1, don't remember what the tag looked like though.

JC

an an-j-3a would like to see a pic of that !!

i get all confused with all the numbers for jackets !! lol :blink: