Today's gift... AN6505 flight bag

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

So, my buddy walks into my office today, hands me an AN6505 flight kit bag and says "here, this is for you". He and I have been trading items back and forth lately, but this was somewhat out of the blue. The bag is named to a F/O Thurman R. Warne and has his full T-number on it. So, being the good little historian I am, I googled it's previous owner's name to see what I could find. This was one of those awesome 30-second jackpots that happen every once in a while. It turns out that F/O Warne was a B-17 copilot with the 510th BS, 351st BG and flew 35 missions between June and September 1944! It had a complete listing of all 35 missions he flew (34 as a Flight Officer, 1 as a 2LT) plus the tail numbers of all 15 B-17Gs he flew on those missions!

Now, I'm not usually an 8th AF guy, but I've needed a flight bag for my chute, g-suit, mae west, etc, so this was perfect. The fact that it's former owner had a great history was a bonus. Of course, I may have to build a B-17G now...

post-5470-0-07736100-1360994409.jpg

• 1 month later...
AAF_Collection

Very nice Jon! The 351st website is great,isn't it?! I knew the late Ken Harbour who was the Group's UK historian,a nicer guy you couldn't have wished to meet.

I have the 351st's published history,if you'd like me to look anything up send me a PM.

Matt.

• 1 year later...