Marks, Specialty Marks and Distinguishing Marks of the Sea Services

dpcsdan

On 8/2/2018 at 11:01 PM, busternfo said:

Thanks for the input. Has anyone seen a uniform or picture of one with the mark?

On 8/2/2018 at 12:45 AM, busternfo said:

I am not sure this is the proper forum for this discussion but anyway; I am wondering what specialties would or could have qualified for the Advanced Undersea Weaponsman distinguishing mark. I am guessing Gunners Mate and possibly Nuclear Weapons Man. Torpedoman's Mate and Mineman also? Any other ideas? Thanks.

post-125548-0-46477000-1533184792_thumb.jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (15).jpg

Thanks Shade Ruff.  Nice uniform!  I notice the TM rating badge is post-1948; on the left arm.  Is this jumper this vintage or later?  I don't now uniforms that well.  Thanks again,

Dennie

Salvage Sailor

AUWS Graduate (Advanced Underwater Weapons School)

It's early 1960's from the USAUWS in Key West, Florida. The school was primarily for ASW rates (sonarmen, torpedomen, etc)

From a torpedoman's 1960 navy memoirs: "From boot camp it was on to the United States Naval Advanced Undersea Weapons School in Key West, Florida. This was to be only the first of several trips to this school learning the latest in high tech weaponry."

527092985_AUWS03.jpg.e636d286e029c5f14dddf632aded5edb.jpg

More from his pages:

After boot camp it was off to Key West, Florida for what would turn out to be the first of many classes in advanced undersea weapons. Unlike my previous public school education, I managed to graduate first in every class I took in the Navy.

Advanced Undersea Weapons School

Here they taught everything from basic electronics to high tech rocket launched homing torpedoes to atomic warheads. I signed up for everything I could get. By the time I was 18 I knew how to prepare weapons that could sink almost anything afloat. The part of the Navy base that housed the school also housed an anti-submarine helicopter squadron. Our barracks was next to the airfield.

More info on USAUWS in Key West, Florida

2140348220_AUWS02.jpg.32f23fe1a2a1dd7799b9c823f7772163.jpg

Photo posted on the forum by member topdcnut

315890575_AUWS01.jpg.34f50e27c3d285a7fc4f45991f6f6124.jpg

Thanks Salvage Sailor.  This post looks familiar; maybe listed somewhere before?  Your wealth of information is truly amazing!

Dennie

22 minutes ago, busternfo said:

Thanks Shade Ruff.  Nice uniform!  I notice the TM rating badge is post-1948; on the left arm.  Is this jumper this vintage or later?  I don't now uniforms that well.  Thanks again,

Dennie

Dennie,

Unfortunately, I have no clue.  I just happened to see the jumper as currently listed on the well-known auction site.

Shade

Salvage Sailor
8 minutes ago, busternfo said:

Thanks Salvage Sailor.  This post looks familiar; maybe listed somewhere before?  Your wealth of information is truly amazing!

Dennie

Yep, pulled the info from our posts we've made on the USMF Naval Boards

• 4 months later...
jayhawkhenry
On 2/15/2013 at 6:01 PM, dpcsdan said:

Rare, early 1900s engineering branch distinguishing mark (not propulsion engineering, more akin to civil/mechanical engineering branch), precursor to the Construction Battallions (SeaBees) or (CBs).

post-769-0-03910200-1360972859.jpg

Here is a photo of a jumper I have.IMG_3590.HEIC