Marks, Specialty Marks and Distinguishing Marks of the Sea Services

dpcsdan

• 3 months later...
MastersMate

The Coast Guard recently updated their uniform regulations manual. Two new Warrant Officer specialties and one enlisted rating were created.

The warrant diver and enlisted diver are no surprise, they just copied the USN insignia.

In the Marine Safety (MSS) field the established and re designated the specialties.

The MSS Response id the circular MST specialty mark. Change in designation

The MSS Engineer is a twelve tooth gear wheel with a 4 blade prop inside. No change in insignia

The MSS Deck is a re-use of the old Steamboat Inspection Service insignia.

The illustration is done by me, I do not have the exact specs, but it as close as I can illustrate using paint on the home computer.

post-162267-0-67471100-1464541578.jpg

• 1 year later...

A photo, found online, showing the rarest of the rare Number 1 Surfman rating badge of the Coast Guard from when it was established in 1915 and used up until the very early 1920s..

post-162267-0-29964100-1519401916_thumb.jpg

Fire Fighter Assistant (1949-1975). White on navy blue, summer uniform used navy blue on white background.

Man..wish that was a thing when I was in, I could have worn it when I made HT3! I was on CVN-73's At Sea Fire Party.

A photo, found online, showing the rarest of the rare Number 1 Surfman rating badge of the Coast Guard from when it was established in 1915 and used up until the very early 1920s..

Wow, that's a great find, thanks!

Justin,

Have been looking for this for a while. It cleared up a few issues about early CG insignia.

1. The photos of rating badges in the 1916 and 1922 USCG uniform regs were printed in reverse. The eagle does

indeed face forward, USN style...

2. An actual photo of the number 1 surfman rating specialty mark, rather than an artist representation.

3. The cap device is mounted right above mohair banding on the cap. The uniform regs describe a metal eyelet in the cap for the screw post on the insignia. I have an early CG CPO type cap device with a screw post positioned just where you'd expect the eyelet to be on that cap. So it is a PO1 cap device vs an early CPO cap device. He is wearing the 4 button sack coat described in the 1916 regs... The station numbers on the lifering were only authorized for a few years in the early 1920s..

I can close the book on the early USCG uniforms and ratings now..

• 5 months later...

I am not sure this is the proper forum for this discussion but anyway; I am wondering what specialties would or could have qualified for the Advanced Undersea Weaponsman distinguishing mark. I am guessing Gunners Mate and possibly Nuclear Weapons Man. Torpedoman's Mate and Mineman also? Any other ideas? Thanks.

post-125548-0-46477000-1533184792_thumb.jpg

MastersMate

A qualification distinguishing mark for the sleeve of the different uniforms. Underwater weaponsman, 1950s I think. The article did not mention ratings, but you list sounds like a good bet.

A qualification distinguishing mark for the sleeve of the different uniforms. Underwater weaponsman, 1950s I think. The article did not mention ratings, but you list sounds like a good bet.

. The only thing Stacey has on this is that it was in use from 1949-1961. Has nothing on source ratings, although, Torpedoman and Mineman are good bets.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MastersMate. It's on page four. From the article, I would guess the sailor with the mark on his blues is a Gunner's Mate. Sorry for the late reply. I get on the forum when I can, which is not frequently. Sure do appreciate the information!

I'm not sure that's still the case. I posted his info in some other post.

John Stacey's books are still available at asmic.org under Publications. You do not have to be an ASMIC member to purchase.

• 1 year later...
Gerradtgrant

Any one have any idea what this bullion patch represents? It's on a USN Officers Jacket on the cuff, one on each side. The jacket is dated 1/11/44. Thanks in advance. 00e9fe5846e2ad2d87ef3b117280ef04.jpga9bbe38a84fc10deb216e66d7e209148.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Justin B. said:

Me too! Civilian security at an airship facility, would you guess?

Quite possibly civilian contractor.

The late Garth Thompson thought this might be a mark for admiral's barge crew members. I've never found any evidence of this. Also can't find anything on this second patch. Lastly, another collector asked me, years ago, what I thought this twist on "security guard/seaman guard" represented. I never found an answer. Open questions, all.

Admirals_Barge_Crew_DM_1945-46_maybe.jpg

What_Garth.jpg

IMGP0815.JPG

On 10/30/2020 at 12:41 PM, dpcsdan said:

Quite possibly civilian contractor.

Oh yes, civilian. If it was a Sailor, he’d be in a uniform and wouldn’t need the patch, much less “Guard”, or “US Navy”. Civilian Security. Even today, civilian security on bases wear patches identifying them as “Security”.