Researching my Great-Great Uncle, US Army 1907-1916

Ngrovcam

Hey all,

Well I have stumbled upon another project for the family. I am just now diving into the research of my great great uncle, Arturo Pennell. I have an email from my father that I have copied and pasted below as well as a picture of him. I was hoping some of you all could assist me in finding some of his records, being 15 i dont have access to much beyond ancestry.com so thats where i ask you...many thanks!

Nick C.

Email-

Nicholas, attached is the picture we have of your great-great-Uncle Arturo taken, I think, while he was at Fort Sam Houston in Texas around 1915...he had been with the 13th Inf, Co M., and the 22nd Inf, Co M., as well, at different points over his two itches...from 1907 to 1916, I think...he served in Alaska (from June 26th, 1908 to July 21st 1910) and Texas, but I am not sure if he made the Border Campaign...or so I was told by my grandparents...he was a teamster, accoridig to his first discharge papers, which I have...he later re-upped, but I do not have those papers.

His real name was Arturo Pennella, but when he went to enlist, the recruiter told him they would not take Italain immigrants...so he left, and wewnt back the next day...he told the same recruiter that his name was "Arturo Pennell" and that he was born in Cleveland, Ohio...so, they signed him up...his tombstone at the Long sland National Cenetery shows that name as on his discharge papers, not his real name...I hope to have that changed someday.

"Uncle" as we called him was a lovely, kind an dgentle man as IO knew him until his death around 1965...I was about 8 or so at the time...he loved making wine, singing, and tending his garden in Selden, NY...he used to call me "Bunkie", an old Army term, and used to sing a spong about "San Antonio" where he was stationed for a while.

Good luck on your search...he was a great guy...who looks a grreat deal like

Your loveing father

Pic-

post-64499-0-52985900-1360957226.jpg

Since he is a preWW1 vet, you should be able to get his enlistment and other records from Nat'l Archives in DC, NOT St Louis. Go to NARA.gov and find their vets research page -- CW, IW, SAW, etc. There is a form which you can submit online -- do authorize payment for what they have on a credit card -- you should have his records in 6 weeks or so.

Good luck.

G