Roly Poly Patrol Navy Squadron? Patch

Wharfmaster

Johnny Signor

Definately aircraft , goofy looking one , but looks like 50's era Cougars/Panthers, always mix the type up , whichever had the straight wings, "Finger Bowl" is most likely "alluding" to the area of operations, "Roly Poly" possibly the ships/unit's call sign .........................

Johnny

Definately aircraft , goofy looking one , but looks like 50's era Cougars/Panthers, always mix the type up , whichever had the straight wings, "Finger Bowl" is most likely "alluding" to the area of operations, "Roly Poly" possibly the ships/unit's call sign .........................

Johnny

Thanks very much Johnny.

The aircraft may be the McDonnell Banshee. The Banshee had fixed wingtip tanks and had engines in the wings that gave it a chunky look.

I found the patch in an antique shop with nothing else. It is an odd one.

Best regards,

W

Johnny Signor

Could also be the Banshee or early Phantom(not the F-4) there was a prior Phantom I believe the FH-1 ..........., they had tip tanks also

It could represent an "inside joke" among a small group of pilots. If that's the case, an ID could be impossible.

Whatever it is, nice patch. Agree that it's probably Japanese-made.

Thanks FF and KA.

It had not occured to me that the patch was of foreign / Japanese mfg. The way "finger bowl" is squeezed in down below, I wonder if it is the nickname of a pilot?

W

Thanks FF and KA.

It had not occured to me that the patch was of foreign / Japanese mfg. The way "finger bowl" is squeezed in down below, I wonder if it is the nickname of a pilot?

W

A reverse shot would provide a better idea of where it was made.

Johnny Signor

I think it has something to do with where the unit operated, the carriers were assigned area of ops and they had "nicknames" for them, later in Nam the "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" or "Yankee Station" comes to mind, it being Korean era you should look through that era books etc on carrier flight ops the and unit's and see if you may come across the title/s on patch or about the aircraft .............................................

• 3 years later...
Johnny Signor

What area of the world were "finger bowls" used most , I know some countries used them on tables when people sit down to eat to clean theit "fingers" before or between samples of food etc , it may have a meaning towards that an country.....................

• 3 years later...

I believe the plane represented in the patch is a Willie FUDD or an E 1B tracer used by the VAW squadrons at least that's my best guess based on the top down profile

on the patch in the original post. here is another Willie Fudd patch

post-582-0-41820800-1578954355.jpg