German18 Cavalry Regt. bring back Waffenfrock.

market garden

market garden

Interesting that a private's tunic has an officer grade breast eagle. Nice tunic.

I agree, Not uncomon as one would

believe.stamped- Gepruft II. / 4 . K . s

I agree, Not uncomon as one would

believe.stamped- Gepruft II. / 4 . K . s

See the bullion eagles used quite often actually.Beings its tailor made wouldnt surprise me the tailor made it or used what was on hand.Some EMs were like anyone else and wanted a little more bling for the uniform.

I attended and auction several years ago.The guy was a captain in the 42nd division.There were two Panzer officers jackets w/trousers he brought back.One was the black wrapper,the other his pink piped dress tunic.Both had bullion eagles on them with a green back round.There were several intrested buyers there and one I knew personally.He didnt "like" the eagle on the wrapper as it had a green base and "should" be black for panzer. :blink:

I said look at both uniforms...THey were made by the same tailor.The wrapper had the same buttons with the same backings as the dress tuinic.The stitching was the same on both birds.Plus the stuff had just come out of the attic of his 93 year old mother.The vet lived in Austria as he had retired out of the military and moved there.The guy still turned up his nose as he is of the group that always say "the Germans would have "Never" done that.He convinced himself it wasnt good and someone had added the bird to the wrapper.I ended up loosing the bid to another dealer but give him a good run on it.I did get the vets ike though.He was an infantry Captain with the Silver Star and bronze star as well.

See the bullion eagles used quite often actually.Beings its tailor made wouldnt surprise me the tailor made it or used what was on hand.Some EMs were like anyone else and wanted a little more bling for the uniform.

I attended and auction several years ago.The guy was a captain in the 42nd division.There were two Panzer officers jackets w/trousers he brought back.One was the black wrapper,the other his pink piped dress tunic.Both had bullion eagles on them with a green back round.There were several intrested buyers there and one I knew personally.He didnt "like" the eagle on the wrapper as it had a green base and "should" be black for panzer. :blink:

I said look at both uniforms...THey were made by the same tailor.The wrapper had the same buttons with the same backings as the dress tuinic.The stitching was the same on both birds.Plus the stuff had just come out of the attic of his 93 year old mother.The vet lived in Austria as he had retired out of the military and moved there.The guy still turned up his nose as he is of the group that always say "the Germans would have "Never" done that.He convinced himself it wasnt good and someone had added the bird to the wrapper.I ended up loosing the bid to another dealer but give him a good run on it.I did get the vets ike though.He was an infantry Captain with the Silver Star and bronze star as well.

True that Ron - I've heard a lot of that kind of reasoning over the years. On a similar note, it's often trying for German collectors who roll into U.S. stuff as so much non-regulation and unoffcial things were worn by G.I.s. I had a good friend who was a Glider Pilot and delighted in doing things that "were never done" as far as the uniforms and insignia he wore and how he wore them. Best part was that he had photographs of himself "violating" some of those ALWAYS and NEVER rules! A local guy who was a Zoomie in the post war years used to go into convulsions looking at the photos. We used to joke that the G.P. must have staged the photos as the couldn't possibly be real - "They NEVER did that"!

Sprechen Sie Deutsch Mein Lieber Market Garden?

Here,s a site on the Kavallerie Regiment 18 on the left side we see a heading, Kriegszeit, this means Wartime for Wartime Service, and lists the units that Kav Regt 18 were redesignated to during the war, the AA we see stands for Aufklaerungs Abteillung, the standard German WWII Reconassance Battalion, these units without the PZ in front of their titles PZ being for Panzer, ie Armored would be those assigned to an Infantry Division usually, or a GHQ.

The following of course is just one idea. This unit, Kavallerie Regiment 18 was originaly garrisoned in Stuttgart and three other surrounding towns/cities in the pre war period/early war, this is what is know as it's depot, the coat may have been left at the regiment's depot early in the war with the soldiers baggage, and liberated in 1945, but since the French were the ones who operated in that region to include taking Stuttgart itself, so it may be unlikely your 3rd Div vet picked it up there. It may have belonged to a member of one of one of these AA units that were not assigned to a Division but operated as GHQ troops, as some of these AA units that contained redesignated elements of Kav Regt 18 and were a part of a Division were not in the West but rather in the East, it would depend on which of them was if any were in the area the 3rd Inf Div fought or moved through, right now I having difficulty sorting this out :D but it is a interesting site if some of the histories of the wartime AA units seem incomplete or not as extensive as we would like.

http://www.kavallerie-regiment18.de/menue.html

• 4 months later...