Remington Rand M1911A1 - looking for info

ThompsonSavage

ThompsonSavage

Found this M1911A1 for sale, but my knowlegde about these pistols is very limited.

I'm looking for all the info you can give me (date of mfg, mixmaster?, parts, finish, markings... ). Seller is asking $1300.

SN is 1647125

post-45626-0-05818600-1360712154.jpg

post-45626-0-79694900-1360712160.jpg

post-45626-0-43025600-1360712167.jpg

From what I can see, basically a parts gun; Colt frame, R/R slide, barrel is either a refin or post-WW2 barrel, left grip is Keys Fibre, right grip is Colt....

Barrel, slide, frame parkerized over pitting, foreign stampings, worth only the sum of its parts. If you want a shooter, assuming it works internally (which would have to be checked by a gunsmith), it may be worth about $400. Otherwise, no collecter value.

From what I can see, basically a parts gun; Colt frame, R/R slide, barrel is either a refin or post-WW2 barrel, left grip is Keys Fibre, right grip is Colt....

Agreed. This gun was pitted badly, and the pitting on the barrel hood gives me serious pause as to what the inside of the gun might look like.

As it is and if it works, $800-900 is fair in todays market. If the barrel needs to be replaced knock of $150, and if there are mechanical issues beyond that, pass.

As it is and if it works, $800-900 is fair in todays market.

I would not care what today's market "says", I sure as heck would not waste $800 - $900 on a pistol in that condition. I would save up a bit more and buy a decent gun with some collector value. This example is neither decent nor does it have any collector value.

Tim

I know little about the 1911 series, but my first indicator from the images was the barrel condition which would give me pause to reevaluate. Certainly horribly overpriced from the description of mixed parts.

The seller needs to do better research in regards to what he is trying to pawn off on you. Run from that thing.

I would not care what today's market "says", I sure as heck would not waste $800 - $900 on a pistol in that condition. I would save up a bit more and buy a decent gun with some collector value. This example is neither decent nor does it have any collector value.

Tim

I agree. That being said, the prices some pay for these astound me. I wouldn't pay it, but you wouldn't have a hard time finding someone who will. I believe I see a possible foreign military (UK, Canadian?) proof on the frame as well. You are almost certainly well served spending $1200 on a much nicer example than $800 plus on this hunk of junk.

As PT Barnum said...well, we all know what he said.

• 3 months later...