Help needed on leather EM belt

Ack-Ack26yd

I've got a leather WWII EM garrison belt, the kind that's worn on the early/pre war class A uniform, but it's in kind of rough shape. When you touch the inside of the belt, little bits of leather dust come off, like it's disintegrating or something. Is there a way to stop it from doing that or to treat it with something to prevent this from happening? I'd really like to use it on a uniform (especially since it's a larger size), but I don't want the leather messing with the uniform. Any tips or advice would be helpfull. I haven't treated or preserved any old leather before.Thanks!

Ack-Ack26yd,

You'll get many different opinions regarding your leather challenge. There is a thread in the Preservation section dedicated to leather preservation. You'll see some recommend doing nothing, some recommend Pecards, some recommend Renissance Wax, etc. I've asked museum folks about leather preservation and get mixed responses. The National Park Service has a paper on line that has some definitive information regarding leather care.

Wish I had a fix for you.

Ken