New poncho liners - Are they issue or commercial?

Richard W.

I finally wore out the Woodland poncho liners from my Army days and I purchased two new ones from the Sportsman's Guide. One is 3-color Desert and the other is MARPAT.

They work as a poncho liner should (nice and warm!), but the collector in me wants to know if they are genuine GI/Marine issue or produced for the commercial market. SPG claims they are issue, but they say that about anything that's green or camo. I don't think they know or care what they sell.

The labels look about right, but I can't find any reference to the manufacturer ("TECH. PRODUCTS MFG. CORP.") except from vendors like SPG selling these liners. Nothing "official" about them being a bona fide contractor. I'm also wondering if the contract numbers and NSNs would be identical on liners with different camo schemes.

The MARPAT liner has both sides in the Digital Woodland pattern. I think the real USMC issue is two-sided with the side opposite the camo in solid Coyote Brown (?) It does have the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem incorporated into the pattern, but I don't know if that proves anything. I don't have anything to compare it to.

Please look at my photos and let me know what you think. Thanks

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Not like mine... I think both are commercial I was never issued a 3 pattern nor saw one but it does not look right, label, etc. The real MARPAT pattern is darker and the tag is listed as woodland Marpat and coyote on the one I have.

Thanks for your comments.

I just found a photo of a real MARPAT liner's label on eBay and I see what you mean. Tag's all wrong.

China maybe?

also, they both have the same NSN. That wouldn't happen with different patterns, so that shows this is a mass produced label. Also, was Marpat even a pattern, in 96?

These are satisfactory for use on the couch or stashed in the car trunk but it kind of bothers me that someone would go to the trouble of making a faux military label for them.

I paid $20 each and that's cool, but other vendors are charging $30 -$40 for them and everybody is calling them "surplus."

"TECH. PRODUCTS MFG. CORP." sounds like someone in China's idea of a contractor's name, and I presume they fake these labels because American dealers want them to. :(

You cannot phoney up a label with a US Defense Logistics Agency number and contract number without being a Government authorized contractor. Not unless you want the full weight of the US Department of Justice down on your bahootie! If you feel these are not legit, report them to the DLA. Danny