1904 Army first aid pouch

Hired_gun

I picked this up last week. Bought it kind of sight unseen but from a reputable source. He thought it was early USMC. I am thinking it is Army. Any thoughts?

No visible markings except for the name written on it.

1904fa-01_zps12686caa.jpg

1904fa-02_zps5f2730f2.jpg

1904fa-03_zpsb514096c.jpg

1904fa-04_zps180b40e7.jpg

1904fa-05_zps62569a7d.jpg

1904fa-06_zps856ae042.jpg

1904fa-07_zpscf6611fa.jpg

I think its an Army m1911 pouch. maybe.

The m1904 and m1907 were more square and had a different style belt hook. The usmc p1912 has a round flap that was shorter.

I think keystone may have found the link to identify it. If it is what it is, it appears that only Mills used a metal hanger on FA pouches and not brass during this time frame as well as a slotted male glove snap. All the other glove snap studs I've seen during this period are normally solid. Just an observation I've made on the limited pouches I have seen.

It looks to me that both the femal sockets have had thier "insides" pulled out and those "insides" are not affixed(stuck) to the outside of the male studs.

Do they still "snap" together still?

My SWAG is this pouch is a M1910 Mills mfg'd: Pouch, First Aid Packet Model of 1910.

As shown in Keys link above.

Marchville1918

I don't know either---but although it has a Mills look to it, all of the Mills gear I have seen has the Mills logo stamped on it.

I found that applying water to an item often will bring out the ink printed on items. I tried on this and it worked. Upon wetting it down with a damp cloth the Mills bullet logo is visible between the 2 male part of the snaps. I can't make out much else. I am going to see if I can get a picture of it.

Next, the snaps worked great. Both snapped in tightly and came out with no problems.

well I wasn't able to get a picture of the Mills logo but after cleaning up the female snaps I am able to see a manufacturer stamp which appears to be "C-F Co. U.S.F."

U.S.F.???

snap_zps19db34b1.jpg

United Standard Fastener? Or United States Fastener? Maybe C.F. Co. was owned by U.S.F., like Remington was owned by Union Metalic Cartridge (not sure if they still are).

U.S.F. is stamped on there alright. I don't know much about first aid pouches but wasn't pretty much all army stuff marked U.S. I know stuff made for the marines specificly wasn't marked U.S. but that marine gear can have a makers stamp. The water technique doesn't damage the stamp or piece?

The water hasn't harmed anything I have done it on. I figured it out by accident but it is kind of amazing how it works. This is actually the first item I used it on where it didn't show up dark enough to take a photo of.

I'm kind of bummed about it not being a USMC item. I don't do the Army collecting so I guess it will go in the "For Sale" section.

Marchville1918

Given that you have established it to be Mills, I wonder if this isn't something which would show up in their catalog of military goods for private sales to officers etc. I have seen examples of Mills belts which were not of a type issued buy the services but instead purchased by an officer for his own use. Maybe this is something like that. If it was a general issue item someone here would be familiar with it.