SgtMaj's Museum and Bar For All You Devil Dogs Out There

BigJohn#3RD

A local tavern that is. You have to be a member to get in now, and wear BY THE ORDER proper civilian attire...collared shirt, slacks, etc

• 2 weeks later...

What Brig said is accurate. I went to go in there last summer, and there were signs all over the door saying they had a dress code and that you will be refused access if you weren't in proper civilian attire. Being a northerner in the North Carolina heat and humidity, I wasn't about to go re-dress myself to look at a bar owner's private collection no matter how nice it may be. As for the membership, I didn't see anything about that, but my guess is, it ain't cheap. I can drink a coke in the privacy of my own home and ogle my own collection without anybody telling me what to wear.

On the one hand, all you have to do is look at the average bar crowd in Jacksonville, NC and then ask yourself... "would I let these guys hang around in my collection room?" No, of course not. But then again, there is a functioning bar inside the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico and they don't seem to have any problems.

Another place that is like this, minus the dress code and membership, is the Globe and Laurel in Quantico. Right next to the hostess stand there is a display case with 6 MOH medals in it, and every EGA you can imagine, along with a very impressive British Royal Marine insignia collection.

I guess when you own the museum/bar, you can set the dress code to be whatever you want. That point aside, it is a very cool way to get the public to see thngs they never would have seen before and you have to admire his willingness to share it with the public.

Cool concept...even the dress code. I just wonder how he'll remain in business turning away paying customers sporting a t-shirt and jeans (basically, the bulk of his potential market).

If I happened to be in the area (I've only "touched" the NW corner of NC) at some point, I might stop by. But there didn't seem to be anything there that would DRAW me like, for example, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico - a definite destination on my list of MUST SEE places.

I guess when you own the museum/bar, you can set the dress code to be whatever you want. That point aside, it is a very cool way to get the public to see thngs they never would have seen before and you have to admire his willingness to share it with the public.

Because of the dress code, not much of the public goes there. He intended it to be more of a bar where Marines could go to get away from the locals who hate us...you know, our wives take all the jobs and we own newer cars because we have no expenses, blah blah blah

Cool concept...even the dress code. I just wonder how he'll remain in business turning away paying customers sporting a t-shirt and jeans (basically, the bulk of his potential market).

in this town? not at all. As said, they're not our biggest fans, and this isn't a tourist town. Visiting families maybe, but they should come prepared as technically the base exchange, commissary, etc are supposed to turn away all customers who are in inappropriate civilian attire (not as strict as the bar's code, sure)

There's 35K+ Marines here...business isn't a problem. Plus, he's not in it for the business, it had always been a dream for him. I'm not going to discuss how it came to exist...all 100% legal and not at all shady, but far too personal a story behind it to go broadcasting. I've seen him around the Raleigh show a few times, it's actually how I met him, I happened to get to something he wanted first and he slid me a business card in case I ever wanted to sell it