DRMO Says No More Surplus Combat Uniforms to Be Released

Charlie Flick

I'm always amazed at the modern/current stuff which regularly surfaces on this forum...MICH helmets complete with night-vision mounts..flak vests...badged ACUs...desert boots etc. Theoretically, any ne'er do well could purchase these items and be almost as well equipped as a regular GI for a fraction of the cost. That's part of having a free society...and why we need to defend these freedoms against those who would do us harm.

Sabrejet

oldfireguy

As long as surplus stores near military bases continue to give troops pennies on the dollar for their items this stuff will always be around. DRMO may not be selling it but the troops will.

This frame from an oft publicized series is a good example of US uniform items being worn by the bad guys. Here's the late OBL in his woodland camo M65 Field Jacket!

post-8022-1304700693.jpg

Sabrejet

As far as the BDU is concerned, one also has to realize that there are a plethora of Woodland camo that is the same or almost the same as the US version being used by other countries. Unless you look at labels it can hard to tell the difference with an untrained eye. Obviously commercial products can still be easily obtained...as are these foreign uniforms.

As far as the BDU is concerned, one also has to realize that there are a plethora of Woodland camo that is the same or almost the same as the US version being used by other countries. Unless you look at labels it can hard to tell the difference with an untrained eye. Obviously commercial products can still be easily obtained...as are these foreign uniforms.

I hear what you say. However...given the nature of the beast, I wouldn't be surprised if US kit was deliberately being worn as a kind of gesture of defiance!

Sabrejet :pinch:

I hear what you say. However...given the nature of the beast, I wouldn't be surprised if US kit was deliberately being worn as a kind of gesture of defiance!

Sabrejet :pinch:

You could be correct, but I think it has more to do with the fact of availability of the uniforms near where they are. Afghanistan has several companies that manufacture woodland camouflage uniforms for the ANA.

USMCRECON
I understand the idea, but what does this actually accomplish? I can go to Propper or True-Spec right now and get whatever I need. Every badge, pin, etc. is available at retail. The only thing this stops is actual surplus sales, not the ability to look like US military.

It's mostly a CYA thing but I agree 100% with the policy.

This policy will eliminate the potential of some media darling coming along and reporting an explosion or shooting on Base X or Government office Y and the terrorists were wearing military uniforms they got from our own government.

True enough the terrs can still get this kind of stuff. However, it will make it a little harder and costlier for them and we won't be shooting our own selves in the foot.

Unfortunately, that will force the guys who have been getting their reenacting and resale uniforms from military surplus to have to start buying them from the civilian militaria suppliers just like the terrorists. :ermm:

USMCRECON

It's kinda' a philosophical issue for me. True, as I posted above, they can get the stuff from civilian retailers but at least WE won't be supplying the stuff to them.

I always hated the thought of being shot with my own weapon. Similarly, I'd hate to see a terr use government procured uniform items/equipment to gain illegal access to a military base or other government facility.

Gary,

You asked for pics of the labels. I am more than glad to oblige! :lol::lol:

This is a pic of the labels in my Afghan National Army woodland uniforms.

DSCN2356.JPG

DSCN2358.JPG

Now....can anyone identify which uniform is US made and which uniform is Afghan made? The patterns are virtually identical.

DSCN2354.JPG

It's mostly a CYA thing but I agree 100% with the policy.

This policy will eliminate the potential of some media darling coming along and reporting an explosion or shooting on Base X or Government office Y and the terrorists were wearing military uniforms they got from our own government.

True enough the terrs can still get this kind of stuff. However, it will make it a little harder and costlier for them and we won't be shooting our own selves in the foot.

Unfortunately, that will force the guys who have been getting their reenacting and resale uniforms from military surplus to have to start buying them from the civilian militaria suppliers just like the terrorists. :ermm:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I think it is a CYOA deal with the US Govt.

Without any of my woodland uni's present, I'd say the right is US.

As you are looking at the screen.....the US version is on the left and Afghan version is on the right.

USMCRECON
If you believe that it is a significant security problem then your point is well taken. And yes, I do have an agenda in maintaining my industry.

By the way, your Marine Corp does not allow the selling of its MARPAT pattern on the commercial market. There are knockoffs, but a discerning eye will notice a difference. That is why finding genuine MARPAT in the surplus stores is still a hit or miss proposition. After over a year, not being near any Marine base, I can count the number of genuine USMC MARPAT items that have come into my store on my fingers.

My issue with DRMO is that even the now obsolete woodland camo BDUs are not being sold, even though commercial BDUs, not to mention the improved patterns like Crye's Multicam, can easily be purchased on the commercial market. Since no soldier now wears woodland BDUs, it is hard to argue that selling obsolete old and used stock presents a security risk. Rumors now abound that the current ACU uniforms are also bound for an early retirement from usage.

Hi Driver. Rereading my earlier comment I think, in hindsight (which is usually 20/20), the word "agenda" may not have been the best word choice. Perhaps "interest" may have been a better choice. I was not intending a "poke" at you when I wrote it.

I don't know about the phase-out date for BDUs in the Army but I have, even recently, seen some Airmen/women in our office and at the Pentagon still wearing them; Reservists as well.

It is certainly true that a determined terrorist-type can, and likely will find what he wants through other non-DRMO sources. Another forum member posted a comment that set forth the idea I was trying to convey earlier (and did it much better than I did). During the virtually certain media analysis/blame game following a given terrorist-type attack/incident, the US Government does not want to appear to be complicit by being the source of uniforms/equipment/etc. used by individuals in the commission of terrorist acts, either in CONUS or OCONUS.

Long Trang

Well it was bound to happen. :( Maybe they should focus on securing the borders so incidents like the Mexican Marines won't happen again.

Though I do see (and understand) the method to their madness, I think that there are other, more pressing security matters that this country should deal with. It seems as always the easy route is taken to appear to be affective in combatting the bad guys.

Firearms are villanized, and laws are put into place to keep law abiding citizens from owning them, only to have the criminals aquire them regardless. Do you really think that if some talaban wanker want's to get his hands on an issued uniform he can't do it?

<rant over>

Though I do see (and understand) the method to their madness, I think that there are other, more pressing security matters that this country should deal with. It seems as always the easy route is taken to appear to be affective in combatting the bad guys.

Firearms are villanized, and laws are put into place to keep law abiding citizens from owning them, only to have the criminals aquire them regardless. Do you really think that if some talaban wanker want's to get his hands on an issued uniform he can't do it?

<rant over>

This policy provides the government with an unambiguous and visible "line in the sand" that demonstrates that they are doing "somethig" concrete about the issue. It also provides deniability should someone later accuse the Government of being a (even unwitting/unknowing) supplier of support items to terrorists.

That our Government usually takes the easy way shouldn't surprise you. Taking the easy way is always.......well, easier. ;)

HoovieDude

Something else that would probably be a reason mixed in all this that may not be something on the surface that most think about...we were/are supplying our new "allies", ANA, ISF, etc.. with much of our older equipment, to include Kpots, BDU's, DCU's, etc..Nothing really new there. Plus, I think it would be easier to pass it on as aid, than let it go through the DRMO ( or whatever the new name for it is) process. Makes sense to me.

Something else that would probably be a reason mixed in all this that may not be something on the surface that most think about...we were/are supplying our new "allies", ANA, ISF, etc.. with much of our older equipment, to include Kpots, BDU's, DCU's, etc..Nothing really new there. Plus, I think it would be easier to pass it on as aid, than let it go through the DRMO ( or whatever the new name for it is) process. Makes sense to me.

I have some knowledge on this subject from a friend that works in a military advisory role for "third world " armies ... The main reason for the decision had nothing at all to do with so called Security but was in fact to use these stocks of used and still serviceable uniforms and equipment to be giving as aid to whom ever they think maybe able to use it . A recent example is the recent decision to supply the Libyan rebels with surplus uniforms, equipment and radios . Where do you think that "Surplus" is coming from? There are plenty of third world countries we give this type of military aid to.

Also I do collect some modern uniforms and equipment and I have had no problem what so ever finding stuff so whatever the reason the DRMO based its decision on has had zero effect on not making the stuff available to the general public....

Mike

• 1 month later...

I recently heard from a good source that soldiers are no longer allowed to keep their uniforms when they seperate from the service or at least they can only keep one and return all others. Can anyone confirm this?