DRMO Says No More Surplus Combat Uniforms to Be Released

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Guys:

I don't know if this has been posted before or not, but I just ran across this announcement from the DRMO which was posted on the CAP site. No reason for the restriction was given but it must have something to do with a security issue.

Charlie Flick

DRMS DEMIL BULLETIN FY 07-06

February 16,2007

MILITARY COMBAT UNIFORMS

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY FOR ALL DRMO's WORLDWIDE: Military combat uniforms will only be released to Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and their Guard or Reserve components. This restriction applies to all Combat Uniforms (BDU, ACU, DCU, MARPAT, BDU 6-Color Desert AKA "Chocolate Chip", NWUs, AFBDU or ABU) worn by the armed forces of the United States (See the demil web site for a detailed description). This restriction includes the trousers, shirts, jackets, and associated headwear or helmet covers. A partial list of NSNs is attached, however, DRMOs must ensure that no military combat uniforms are released to non-military units regardless of stock number or if identified by an LSN.

Receipt: Military combat uniforms will be received or batched in accordance with established procedures. Expedited processing will be utilized. Combat uniforms will not be mixed with other clothing items during accumulation to facilitate ultimate disposal at ESD.

Reutilization: DRMO's will only allow release to Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and their Guard or Reserve components. No other Special Programs, Transfer, or Dunation release is authorized.

At ESD: DRMOs will hold combat uniforms pending receipt of further guidance. This guidance applies to all DRMO's, CONUS and OCONUS.

I'm sorry, but I agree 100% with the policy. Remember after 9/11, when all those UPS uniforms went missing? A terrorist could easily use them, get them official looking, and walk onto an installation time and time again, claiming they forgot their ID and leaving, until some complacent PFC is like 'alright, go ahead, I understand man'.

Plus, we need the uniforms for the war effort. Civilians do not. At least during time of war, I agree with this policy

Sort of in line with Brig, this does not surprise me. I believe in the UK it has been illegal for years to sell a fully badged modern uniform. We wouldn't want the IRA guys walking through a checkpoint with all the proper gear. (By the way, the toughest base to get on in Germany in the 1980's were the British Army posts. Their guards stood watch in grenade proof stands complete with camera survaillance. We've still got years to go to catch up to them.)

I am afraid the thinking is somewhat limited on this. All the terror bad guys would have to do is get the latest copy of the CAV Store catalog, or log onto one of a thousand sites selling civilian manufactured uniforms and order one. Of course someone may figure that out and that might be the end of mail order sales for uniforms.

This all may be shocking to folks who have never left the USA, but Europe was taking these kinds of precautions years ago.

I understand the idea, but what does this actually accomplish? I can go to Propper or True-Spec right now and get whatever I need. Every badge, pin, etc. is available at retail. The only thing this stops is actual surplus sales, not the ability to look like US military.

Manchu Warrior

I was in the MD National Guard when the war in Iraq began. We, infantry soldiers, were activated and given a two week crash training course to become police officers. My unit was then sent to Andrews Air Force Base and attached to the 89th Security Squadron. Other then the fact that we were not allowed into the Air Force 1 complex, it took a few years to do a background check, my unit did everything else that the police did. So why am I bringing this up? The problem was not whether someone was in a particular uniform or not it was the fact that there were about 10,000 different types of IDs that could get you on the base. Some of them so fake looking that anyone could make one, and they were in fact legit. Why I say this is because we were informed that Andrews was on the top ten list for terrorist attacks in the USA but security was so lax there it was laughable. So, maybe stopping the flow of uniforms might help but in my opinion there are much bigger fish to fry then worrying about someone getting a hold of a ratty pair of BDU's. Just my 2 cents.

post-1412-1204947321.jpg

This is my squad, part of 175th Infantry/ 89th Security Forces standing in front of Air Force 2 on the flight line at Andrews. I tried to blow the photo up so it is not the best.

The DRMO policy not to sell field uniforms has been in place for some time now. But the private sector can still make and sell the identical BDU/ACU uniforms. The only impact is that there are fewer used BDU uniforms out there and of course this has a negative impact upon us oh so dangerous traditional surplus dealers all known to be in cahoots with the bad guys. As other have mentioned, this is the least of the security concerns on most military bases.

Of course most military bases encourage soldiers leaving the military to take home their field uniforms and do what they please as the cost of processing the used clothing through the DRMO is not particularly cost effective. And there were still plenty of BDUs at the national surplus trade show (ASD) this week in Las Vegas, as well as some used ACUs. I filled in on all of the above at the show.

The DRMO has been a joke for some time now, ever since the consultants who were hired to review the DRMO several years ago were soon after given the no-bid contract to have the private sector run the DRMO auctions.

notinfringed

Hello all. I just figured I'd chime in here. I have a very good friend who works for Government Liquidations. This is the company that has the contract to sell all military surplus. This ban has indeed been in effect for some time. Basically, anything that is camo, and worn by the soldier gets scrapped. I can see the point of view of a security risk to some degree, but as has been stated, there are always thrift stores, and surplus stores, at which terrorists could aquire uniforms. As far as cost effectiveness of DRMO processing clothing, I don't think that is an issue. Up here, De-mil items get shipped to the shredder in Tuscon Arizona. Don't ask why. There must be one closer, but that is what I am told they do. There have been several items go up for sale in the last year that got pulled at the last min because someone realized they were associated with a-10 aircraft. This includes step ladders, and support heaters. All were pulled because their magical little number corelated with aircraft. Who knows how many tons of items were shipped out, all the way to Arizona.

More recently, I have been told that the contract now held by Government Liquidation will be open for bids. I suspect there will be even more changes in the following four months or so.

Levi

Greg Robinson

I still see used, and sometimes new, combat uniforms for sale at local army surplus stores. But not nearly as often as I used to. When I wanted examples of the Marine Corps MARPAT uniforms for my collection it took a while to find them but eventually I ran across a set that had been sold by some gyrene. But if one weren't too picky he could easily pick up sets of the "tru spec" MARPAT reproductions which at first glance are identical to the originals.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that my local army store now removes all labels when he sells issue MARPAT uniforms.

Greg Robinson

A few weeks ago I found a brand new, still with barcoded inventory tag attached, USMC MARPAT helmet cover in an army surplus store. And I thought those were supposed to be hard to come by.

...Plus, we need the uniforms for the war effort. Civilians do not. At least during time of war, I agree with this policy

Me too. But still, you could just go and order aftermarket crap.

Andrew

I understand the idea, but what does this actually accomplish? I can go to Propper or True-Spec right now and get whatever I need. Every badge, pin, etc. is available at retail. The only thing this stops is actual surplus sales, not the ability to look like US military.

What it accomplishes, at the very least, is that the U. S. Government would no longer be complicite in the problem by allowing original supplus uniforms and accoutrements on the open market. I have absoloutely no problem with that decision.

The DRMO policy not to sell field uniforms has been in place for some time now. But the private sector can still make and sell the identical BDU/ACU uniforms. The only impact is that there are fewer used BDU uniforms out there and of course this has a negative impact upon us oh so dangerous traditional surplus dealers all known to be in cahoots with the bad guys. As other have mentioned, this is the least of the security concerns on most military bases.

Of course most military bases encourage soldiers leaving the military to take home their field uniforms and do what they please as the cost of processing the used clothing through the DRMO is not particularly cost effective. And there were still plenty of BDUs at the national surplus trade show (ASD) this week in Las Vegas, as well as some used ACUs. I filled in on all of the above at the show.

The DRMO has been a joke for some time now, ever since the consultants who were hired to review the DRMO several years ago were soon after given the no-bid contract to have the private sector run the DRMO auctions.

Well, I understand, based on your comments, why you would disagree with the decision and that you have a particular agenda in your disagreement and apparent dislike for DRMO policies. I am also aware that these items can be acquired elsewhere in the private sector.

However, with the greatly increased U. S. Government emphasis on Natioual Security, should that very same government actually be involved in contributing to the problem?

Greg Robinson
What it accomplishes, at the very least, is that the U. S. Government would no longer be complicite in the problem by allowing original supplus uniforms and accoutrements on the open market. I have absoloutely no problem with that decision.

Neither do I.

Greg

the military encourages us to keep uniforms now because of the high possibility of being recalled during the inactive reserve years. If you think it isn't happening, think again, I know more than I thought I would who have been recalled after a year of getting out!

Manchu Warrior

I have been out for just under four years. So, am I now illegally hoarding the the thirty or so sets of BDU's, and DCU's, that were issued to me? think.gif

Military combat uniforms will only be released to Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and their Guard or Reserve components.

Now American friends you are much closer to rigorous Polish military regulations. Who knows, maybe in decade or two you will have (as we) law blockade for militaria selling outside your country.

Who remembers me from ex-gunboards.com he knows that I was unable to send back to the USA "my" M1936 Musette Bag I bought from Stan Wolcott. The bag belonged during WWII to Pearl Harbor veteran Lieutenant-Commander Andrew Petruska. The try to send it back to the USA means for me approx. 2 years of prison. We in Poland can not send abroad the items older than 50 years. The Polish Custom House is like Labrador Retriever against narcotics -- they are militaria focused officials and they look for smugglers of WWII period stuff. I would hand back this bag free-of-charge for Lieutenant-Commander Andrew Petruska's son who contacted me via ex-gunboards.com but I will land in a place without the sun and Internet. :huh:

Well, I understand, based on your comments, why you would disagree with the decision and that you have a particular agenda in your disagreement and apparent dislike for DRMO policies. I am also aware that these items can be acquired elsewhere in the private sector.

However, with the greatly increased U. S. Government emphasis on National Security, should that very same government actually be involved in contributing to the problem?

If you believe that it is a significant security problem then your point is well taken. And yes, I do have an agenda in maintaining my industry.

By the way, your Marine Corp does not allow the selling of its MARPAT pattern on the commercial market. There are knockoffs, but a discerning eye will notice a difference. That is why finding genuine MARPAT in the surplus stores is still a hit or miss proposition. After over a year, not being near any Marine base, I can count the number of genuine USMC MARPAT items that have come into my store on my fingers.

My issue with DRMO is that even the now obsolete woodland camo BDUs are not being sold, even though commercial BDUs, not to mention the improved patterns like Crye's Multicam, can easily be purchased on the commercial market. Since no soldier now wears woodland BDUs, it is hard to argue that selling obsolete old and used stock presents a security risk. Rumors now abound that the current ACU uniforms are also bound for an early retirement from usage.

• 2 years later...
General Apathy

I can't recall the date exactly it was around the second gulf war start I certainly had two middle eastern guys in the store looking for then current U.S.Army uniforms and 101st patches, these guys wern't no re-enactors, they also wanted night vision devices despite the sign outdoors saying U.S. Uniforms 1900 - 1945.

Real happy I didn't have anything for them, wouldn't have told them even if I had and I didn't give them any leads to other dealers that might have the stuff, which I always did for re-enactors.

It's a different world to even twenty years ago. :crying:

lewis

The decision against releasing BDUs is because they are a favorite for Taliban fighters. This is recent footage. Even Osama prefers them. If you've read 'Not a Good Day to Day' about Tora Bora they even discuss finding packages with clothing, shoes, etc for the Taliban with receipts from stores in the US. They might not have a clothing and sales system but they do receive items from the US. These screen grabs are from October 2009.

post-2582-1292112356.jpg

post-2582-1292112362.jpg

I listed an Vietnam era ERDL item on eBay and they instantly blocked my auction because a this ban apparently extends to anyone selling camouflage items overseas. Some information popped up that explained the ban but I didn't bother to save it. I re-listed the same item later with no problems (?).

• 4 months later...
Does this mean the value of all the BDU's in my collection just went up 200%? :lol:

Hey i like that thinking. lol,and my cusin made fun of me for buying all my uni`s.